Making Money???

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I came across this website for chartering boats
    www.visailing.com/catamarans-charters-4guest.shtml
    and would like to know from the members - have or are you doing this - or do you know someone who is.

Is this a feasable option? can one at least turn over 40 000 us dollars per year on average knowing that this is seasonal business, hoping for 50% nett (with 4 guests on board.)

I see many of them charge around 1900 usd / person / week on a 11 / 12 metre = 38 foot catamaran. Many off them are snorkelling / sightseeing during the day + light meals and then at night small harhours where the guests go pub crawling and buy their own suppers at the local taverns.

Could this work or is it a case off that you have to swallow so much **** from your guests that you want to drown yourself:D :D

I love the Easy37 and am doing final costings now to build it in South Africa - so far so good. It is do-able and accomodations could vary to cater for 4 guests. A big expense is renting suitable premises it would be very nice if one could build 3 side by side.

It would be very nice to hear from folks that know and that have been there and bought the "T" shirt

Attached Files:

2. masalai

masalai masalai

If you have a substantial income and the taxation regime offers substantial rebates and tax write-offs for this "investment" as a sideline so you can have "owners visit" for 2 to 4 weeks a year cruising the carribean or wherever the boat is based - "Hi Ho Hi Ho Its over the seas we go - etc"

I like the Bob Oram 44-C better... but they are both nice boats... for personal live-aboard use...

I used to manage a beautiful (dry rot riddled) sailing mono for a local expat running it as a day-sailing out of Port Vila. $20US per head for a day-sail to a snorkelling stop & morning tea of fresh fruit ($20 worth) then a lunch stop at Hideaway Island (free lunch for me when more than 10 passengers) and snorkelling scuba access there for the passengers (extra) then back to the Rossi jetty in time for drinks & barbecue (extra cost) to end the day (I got free beer) - I usually carried 20 passengers & not often missing on a parting screw... I would call that good money for a brief while... (Oh I had to pay the 3 locals - live aboard crew) - I stayed in other accommodation & kept the money left over..:D:D:D

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Masalai thanks for the input.

Our dilema in South Africa is that the country is SERIOUSLY going backwards at frightening speeds. I as a small business man (=entrepeneur for 30years) can confidently predict that we will be another Zimbabwe in 15 / 20 years time. I have lived and survived through the apartheid / Mandela years, and i believe anybody that has owned businesses in this country over the last 30 years will agree that it has been one hell of a up and down ride.

I have been involved at senior management level in engineering, construction and mining. Been around the block got the "t" shirt.

I am now getting into a position that i can fullfill a lifelong dream of going cruising. My two children will be finished with university in 4/5 years time - university and the general costs of young adults in South Africa is very very expensive.

By the time that i bought / built a category A boat for open water cruising my income from this country will be pathetic so all i need is some additional income that i was hoping to derive from some chartering.

My research has shown that couples can cruise on a budget of 1000 / 2000 USdollars per month as per www.setsail.com

That is why i posed the question - IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE DOING THIS WEEKLY CHARTERING THING.

I am sure that many of this forums readers would like to know what really happens. I have heard ALL the ******** at the yacht clubs from guys that own 35 /45 ft yachts and dont even have a day skippers license. It is like saying you must open a restaurant because you cant go wrong with food! i am sure you have heard that one before - let them keep on dreaming.

I am writing to the chater companies as well and i will keep our readers posted on the outcome - because it seems like i have asked a very tricky question here as there are not really definative answers as yet. Surely i cant be the only person on this planet that would like to earn a buck from my boat.

If the solution lies in the pink dollar thats ok because at least it would be beter than nothing:D :D :D

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Manie, now in most areas one needs commercial tickets, in some of the Pacific Islands, over 40 ft for some activities, you cannot skipper the commercial vessel you own... My story relates to pre 1980 - no rules... sort of. I suggest you look to migrating ASAP... plenty of saffas over here. Most that I know are mature trades - so have pre-qualified for supervisory roles in mining companies - BLOODY good money... and great demand...

Day chartering or weekly services I would not think as being a good time to enter as US is in recession, Japan is still recovering from a Zimbabwe style stagflation recovery, China ?? India - ask Frosty - not for anyone except for Indians... While China is manufacturing - work in Aussy mines is the go... or at least get your family here and help dig the mines in this region...

Got any applicable skills? for a "skilled migrant" - friends include Electrical supervisor/engineer, Chemist (mineral analysis), optician - selling equipment, teaching - maths, chemistry, physics in high schools (degree quals., required at least)...

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I guess it is possible but when you get down to it if you are cruising do you want a different lot of strangers in YOUR living room every week, after all they sudenly become part of your life in a big way, and you do not know them nor do they give 5h1t about you - your the hired servant after all - kinda white kaff**. I wouldn't!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.