Clear filler for Mahogany

Discussion in 'Materials' started by jshvndyke, Aug 19, 2010.

1. jshvndyke

jshvndyke Junior Member

Hi I am looking for a suitable wood filler for some marine mahogany I have. I want to to keep it clear because I am printing an image onto the wood for display outdoors. The problem is the wood is too porous and any wood fillers I've found are not clear. I was researching spray on resins, a friend recommended vinyl ester a guitar maker recommended polyester resin. I've tried epoxy (west system) but don't want to go with this approach because of the amount of area I have to cover (240sq/ft) and it's difficulty to work with and risk of cracking.

Can anyone recommend a product/technique which would let me make a very smooth surface on the wood which would waterproof it and provide a base for a high quality finish?

Thanks,

Josh

2. jshvndyke

jshvndyke Junior Member

I'm hoping for something spray on that will dry fast and doesn't have to be sanded between coats. I have access to an autobody spray booth just need the right product and type of equipment needed.

Thanks

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

There is no risk of cracking with epoxy. (though West is not the prime choice and not waterclear)

But you can spray a clear 2k PU varnish on the bare wood.

I assume you mean a protective, clear coat when you say "filler" ???

Regards
    Richard

4. jshvndyke

jshvndyke Junior Member

Hi and thanks for the reply,

The mural is going to be exposed to direct sun and rain, I've heard that epoxy can/will yellow in time? Also there is a chance over time that it would warp as the irregular concrete wall it's going on poses a problem.
    My main issue was that the epoxy sample I tested ended up with orange peel and I'm not sure I can get the smooth surface I need on such a large project. Ideally something that can spray on is best.

Could you recommend an epoxy product/distributor for the stuff you are speaking of. Also the 2k varnish?

I need a protective clear coat that will fill the pours and give a smooth finish surface without too much labour/sanding.

I was planning to use a 2k automotive finish because it is the only one I can find in matte but it has poor filling properties. I'm right now testing some polyurethane water and alkyd base coats to put this on to, but would prefer something that can be sprayed on and quick drying.

5. jshvndyke

jshvndyke Junior Member

Just to clarify these are two methods I'm considering.

a)I've got the wood substrate, the print (inkjet), and the top coat(matte).

or b) the wood substrate, clear sealer/filler coat, print, top coat(matte)

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Acrylic glass may be what you're looking for.
    Shops where acrylic items are produced from sheets by cutting and vacuum pulling also use liquid acrylic glass as a glue.
    It is a clear, quick drying mono-component liquid. Because it is a thermoplastic, the surface can be treated with a heat gun to obtain high gloss.

7. rugludallur

rugludallur Rugludallur

UV resistant polymer

What you probably want is a dual component polyurethane varnish as Apex1 pointed out, PU is very UV resistant unlike most epoxy which should not be exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods. If you actually need filler rather than a coating you could use a clear epoxy filler and then apply PU coating over the whole thing.

Jarl
    http://dallur.com

8. jshvndyke

jshvndyke Junior Member

Hi, the idea of liquid acrylic glass sounds quite interesting to me. I'm going to look into that. It would need to be flexible to account for expansion and possible bending with the installation. Any ideas where to find that?

9. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

From what I gather of your description.

As has been suggested a clear epoxy to coat/seal the wood. I would say brush applied with 2 coats of epoxy, block sanded smooth with 320g paper followed by spray applied 2 pack clear polyurethane or PU Varnish.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.