Retrofit Jackup legs onto barge: Any advice?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by AK_Au_Diver, May 26, 2015.

1. AK_Au_Diver

AK_Au_Diver New Member

I would like to purchase a deck barge and then retrofit it with jackup legs to allow it to lift up out of the water (liftboat). Not very high, say 10 feet of water, and raise 5 to 10 feet.

Any suggestions or advice on what type of professional I need to hire to do design this? What questions I should ask? Any commercial products I should use?

My criteria is to have a vessel that can get out of the weather while traveling around remote coastlines of Alaska. I cannot rely on having a port or harbor close enough to escape storms, nor do I want to use the lost time and fuel it would take to move my platform to a harbor for every storm.

I need it to be a floating barge when it's working.

I've seen the Flexifloat jackup barges, there are two working in the same area as me, doing the same thing. But that is an expensive route to go, with the modular pontoons, a functionality that I don't need nor want. I wouldn't mind getting 4 or 6 of their 36" diameter jack legs and pockets and retrofitting an inexpensive barge. But how heavy duty of a barge do I need? I think the Flexifloats are only 1/4" steel sides.

The size barge size I want would be as close to 60' beam without going over, and at least 140 feet long.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.