Making a one of fiberglass boat part ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by northrivergeek, Dec 2, 2008.

1. northrivergeek

northrivergeek Resin Sniffer

I want to create a step up place to mount new seats in my boat, about 6" rise from existing floor and the width of the cockpit, Im not interested in gel coat .. its going to be covered in carpet.

The orig seats where screwed to the plywood floor, I just replaced all the wood in the boat, dont want to give water any easier access to the wood than I have to.

I was think of making a mdf mock up of the riser, and then coating that with mold release to I can pop it off when done, glass it over with 1 layer of 1 oz mat, then 1.5oz then roven woven a couple layers , and then another coat of 1.5 oz mat sand smooth, and then glass it in place to the floor, and sides of boat. Then carpet it like the deck , and attach seats
    will this work >? or do I need to do something dif ?

Here is a couple example pics of what I want to make,

this is my boat right after I got it and the seats removed,.. its a project bass boat, the marked area is the riser

[​IMG]

This pic is what I want finished product to resemble

[​IMG]

2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Boy you are just HANDY with those drawings. Your pictures are worth a thousand words indeed!
    Sorry I dont have your answer but I am a wannabee when it comes to those illustrations. Congrats!

3. northrivergeek

northrivergeek Resin Sniffer

I could do a whole lot better if I hand a digital pen.. Ive been a artist for as long as I can remember, I dont do much art work any more on paper, my fav now is airbrush , I also do metal and other sculptures . As soo as I can get garage/studio built you will be seeing more from me .. I cant wait to get the glass work on the boat dine . so I can begin painting the cap, the cap is going to be a fade, from red metallic flake into grey metallic flake into pearl white to match the colors on the hull.
    Here is sorta what it will look like when done
    just a quick mock up of what paint will look like

[​IMG]

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I don't see any reason why not..
    With steel sheet (like galvanized) no release needed.. Easy to bend and plastic package tape on joints