Flare Boats?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by eyes, May 18, 2006.

1. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Hi
    Like i've said in another thread, i'm new here.
    I was looking for any information available or does anyone knows Flare Boats?
    I was kind of bored and started to look for a project boat. I found this boat and bought it to make it a real one, just got here from Florida. I took everything out. The hull is in really good shape except for the floor wich had a couple of soft spots. I've cut the floor out, and found some rotten wood because the previous owner didnt seal the holes on the floor when he installed the console (It's a 17' 6" center console). The foam was real wet (took all out to replace with new), the center stringer was rotten and the ones on both sides in some places. I've made the shape of them before replacing with 3/16 ply. Tramsom is hard and theres no structural damage in any other place.
    Well, here i go. I would like to know wich construction method will be better for the stringers. I was thinking of making them in fiberglass (epoxy) filled with foam, or should i stick with ply. Here's a sample were i got the do it yourself idea,
    http://www.classicmako.com/projects/ayala/ayala11.htm
    I've used to make and repair my surfboards in the past so i'm familiar with fiberglass. Also have a friend who imports resins, foam, mat...to this country wich will be backing me up with my project.
    I also would like to know about applying gelcoat manually, i want to make the inside look like the outside of the boat (after the floor is completed and installed).
    Thanks for the info and help guys.

2. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Flare Boat pics

Hi guys.
    Here are some pics of the boat.

Attached Files:

3. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Seems like nobody knows nothing about this boat.
    Flare boats anyone?

4. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Gelcoat, fiberglass, paint?

The gelcoat on my project boat is beige and i was thinking on making it white (see gelcoat pic). I've sanded the whole boat outside with 80 grit wet sand paper. I was thinking on painting the whole boat with Imron but in the inside of the boat you can see and feel the mat texture. Should i lay some fine fiberglass and then gelcoat, or should i just put some gelcoat on it. Seems that when the boat was build they put some gelcoat on the inside and didn't lay thin layer of fiberglass first. Then they threw some dark brown gelcoat splashes (see inside pic).
    I've been working on my new stringers first but want to get finishing materials because some are hard to find in this country. Want to get ahead and save some time.

Attached Files:

5. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Stringers being removed

Here are some pics of the condition of one of the stringers (this was the best one), pics of one inch of fiberglass left from the stringer cover to use as a guide, and one from the gelcoat inside. I've already removed the foam wich was all wet and will replace with new. I had to clean everything to work in there because of the smell of deteriorated water in the foam and rotten wood.

Attached Files:

6. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

I hate to see someone talking to himself.

let me read through the posts and I'll see if I can answer. Also spent lots of good times in sosua, cabarete, samana and monte christi:D

7. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

first things first, fibreglASS is porous, so everything must be sealed in some way. You have access to really good mahoghany for your stringers which must be totally encapsulated, If weight is an issue then make foam stringers if the material is available. The wood will give you a good solid bay boat but isnt the latest technology.

1 person likes this.
  8. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Yes, we do have good mahoghany here, even imported. I hope that you really enjoyed your stay here bucknekkid.
    I've been checking a lot of boat manufacturing companies and they make them foam filled fiberglass ("stringer system"). Russ gave me some good advise on them (foam filled-no wood, no rot). I did post this link,
    http://www.classicmako.com/projects/ayala/ayala11.htm
    This is where i got my first idea from. I was thinking of changing to ply, but it seems to do it the other way (Foam inside). If you have any suggestion about the inside (gelcoat, paint, fiberglass...) please let me know.

9. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Is this Flare Marine? Flare Marine was only in business for about 3 years, 1985-1988. The were in Lake Wales FL The Hull ID number should begin with FNQ.

10. eyes

eyes Junior Member

I know Ike. That was the only info i've found about this boats (Flare Marine-no longer inproduction) The hull ID does start with FNQ as all Flare boats. The hull has a nice shape, deep vee, but the finish inside is not. The stringers where poorly fiberglassed and they where bedded to the bottom. You can see in one of the pics. Today i've just made some kind of mold for the stringers. They will be made Foam filled "stringer system". I've decided to do them like this because everybody seems to say the same thing, no wood no rot, fishing will have to wait. See link of the idea. Russ was a big help also explining me on a email.
    IF SOMEBODY KNOWS A LITTLE BIT FROM APPLYING GELCOAT MANUALLY, LET ME KNOW. IWOULD LIKE TO DO SOMETHING WITH THE INSIDE OF THE BOAT.

11. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Ike, if you know more about Flare Marine and their boats, please let me know.
    Thanks

12. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Stringers mold

Here's a couple of pics of the moulds to make the stringers.
    Its about two inches higher from the original stringers so i can cut to the desired shape. I've rounded the edges at the top so it wont have stress points.

Attached Files:

13. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Stringers system pics

Here are some stringers systems that some boat manufacturers use for their boats. Just in case anyone would like to switch from wood to Foam filled. They can be used as ideas. But remember, not every boat is the same. They all have diferent configurations and structural needs. You might just need to check how your original stringers were set, foam calculation, etc.

Attached Files:

14. Ike

Ike Senior Member

No, that's all I know, or all I could get off the Coast Guard data base. The is another Flare. Flare Craft it was originally in Colorado but is now in Connecticutt. They don't make boats. They make FLARE CRAFT which are ground effect machines. That's why I asked about the manufacturers ID Code.

15. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Thanks Ike.
    I got the same info from NADA Guides, but that's all i've found.