Making a mold from an original

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dnice, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dnice

Dnice New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and was thinking of making a mold of a paddleboard from one that I have. Is this going to be an easy task. I am new at this and have limited fiberglass skills from repairing surfboards. Anyone who can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Try "search", it's all there.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Dnice;
    Making a mold is not particularly difficult but it is very much labor intensive. Probably not worth the time if you intend to make only one duplicate.

There are some ethical and indeed some legal issues involved in making a mold from an existing boat or board. Look into that before you start making your mold. In some cases these things are regarded as intellectual property and duplication without the blessing of the original builder can cause ugly consequences.

4. Dnice

Dnice New Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.