making a hull longer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom4660, Jun 4, 2002.

1. tom4660

tom4660 Junior Member

THIS MAY SOUND CRAZY BUT HAS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM EVER STREATCHED A HULL.I WANT TO MAKE MY 32 A 35 WOULD IT BE STRONG ENOUGH.HOW WOULD IT EFFECT PEF. could i do it stepped up so it wouldent effect the bottom

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Ouch, Trouble! There are many factors Do you want all of the streched area in the water(ex. Intergrated swim platform) how much does your boat narrow down, Are there strakes, a tunnel, and so forth.

and oh yea have fun!!

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

What is the goal of stretching - to gain interior or cockpit space (possibly minor if the latter), or to correct a performance / seagoing problem (major)?

4. tom4660

tom4660 Junior Member

THE OBJECT IS TO GAIN DECK SPACE FOR A FIGHTING CHAIR.I SAW A BOAT WITH A FALL AWAY THANSOM AND GOT THE IDEA.WHAT I MEAN BY FALL AWAY IS THAT IT PITCHED UP SO THAT IT DIDENT RIDE IN THE WATER WHEN THE BOAT WAS under power.THE HULL IS FAIRLY FLAT AND DOESNT HAVE STRAKES.

5. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

This modification can usually be done with a metal boat, though a naval architect should be consulted. With FRP it's a little trickier.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.