Material for repairs

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by lakeside, Sep 18, 2012.

1. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Hello guys!!! Hope soemone can give me some direction on repairing stringers with epoxy and glass needed. I have a 26 foot cruiser that i am working on and wanted to get some idea on materials and layup schedule
    My idea was to.
    1. Remove old stringer and tabbing.....support boat... LOL
    2. Grind hull using 24 grit back to hull .......CLEAN!!
    3. Build new stringers and apply three coats of epoxy
    4. Bed stringers in PB and fillet.....glue to transon and bulkhead with PB
    5. Apply 4 layers of 17 oz double biaxial. Staggered starting 7 inches
    Will I also need to tape or will the cloth only be fine?

2. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Came up with this reading other threads and wanted to be sure i was on the right track

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

With #1, reverse the order, support the hull and then remove the stringers. It is nothing to lol about. ;)

#2. Use a chisel, hatchet, axe, cutting edge tool as much as possible. Grinding is the last resort unless you you have a big supply of other people to do it.

#3 OK

#4 PB might work, PBR won't.

#5 68 oz sounds pretty good but in the whole scheme of things it never hurts to overdue the stringers. The weight is negligible and the importance is substantial. The rest makes me wonder what you're talking about.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.