torque converter

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Jellyfish84, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Jellyfish84

Jellyfish84 Junior Member

just wondering if anybody has ever thought of or even seen a torque converter (like in a car) put in a boat between the motor and gearbox. i thought it might be a good idea. normal say you would have a prop that had the size and pitch for good top speed but you would then loose off the mark pickup. i figured you would maybe, with the aid of the torque converter you could gain a little better off the mark pull, because of the gained rpm at high load, low speed and when the boat was on plane the torque needed obviously drops off and the torque converter would make up a little prop speed.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Water and prop slip is the torque converter on a boat.

Sure the big sport fish killers will belch a huge black puff as they start to accelerate , from an overload.

But the overload is mere seconds , no harm , and is gone as they climb up on the plane.

FF

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

of course fast fred did not answer your question....the torque converter woud give you about a 2 :1 ratio at hole shot and you could lock it to 1:1 once you were on the plane. done see why it will not work...
    If hole shot is you problem then ventilate the prop with some holes as this gives airated water to spin it up to speed more easily when the boat is stationary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.