Coremat & ST 500

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Charles9, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Charles9

Charles9 New Member

Hello

I'm just starting to learn about boat building and I'd like to ask you guys a question:

I'm following a plan and its telling me to use ST 500 (bottom) & 3mm Coremat (sides). I have a friend who is actually leading us in the building process and he says that instead of doing ST 500 we should go with combined fabric 1808 or 3208 and instead of 3mm Coremat we should go with 08 or 10mm balsa wood.

He says that nobody uses fabric on the bottom nor coremat on the sides since experience shows that its very easy to crack or break the hull depending on the speed.

What do you guys think?

Thank you in advance,
    Charles

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

This depends completely on the boat. I know of hundreds if not thousands of structurally sound boats, built with coremat.

I do not know the ST500 product, however.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.