Maintaining Structural integrity

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by James Francis, Jul 20, 2006.

1. James Francis

James Francis Junior Member

I want to cut in a storgage box (14x17x 9inch depth) for tools, etc on my 22 foot center console ( storage space is at a minimum). I am going to cut into the storage locker in the bow. Since the storage locker and cut will be made in the liner does it matter if I cut the mounting hole running the length of the liner or across the liner? It fits in either direction. Just wondering if someone has some thoughts of how I might be affecting structural integrity of the boat.

Thanks,

Jim

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

It's hard to tell from your description whether the section you describe is structural or not. Could you post some photos? Any details about the boat?

3. James Francis

James Francis Junior Member

I will try to get some photos - the boat is a 22 fiberglass CC hull and liner, the liner is a separatep component made in a mold and attached to the hull with glue and bolts. On the forward deck there is a hatch that opens up as a storage locker with dimensions that are about 36 inches long and 2 feet wide ( all sides of the storage locker are finished and about 3/8 solid glass/WR.) The bottom of the storage locker is about 8 inches from the hull bottom - the sides of the storage locker are about 12 inches from the hull sides and front vertical surface of the locker is about 20 inches from the bow of the boat. Therefore I can cut out the front or the sides to fit this recessed draw/tackle box. Does that help at all?

Jim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.