Main Page

Discussion in 'Wiki Archive' started by Willallison, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Discussion thread for Main Page. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Well - I did it by accident - don't even know how I posted here - but there you go - if nothing else, it's nice to know I was the 1st!!

BTW - great new addition Jeff.....

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

First is good!

On any page in the wiki, if you click the "discussion" tab it creates a thread in this forum. So as topics and articles are posted, if people want to then discuss them, it creates a thread. From then on, the discussion tab is linked to the thread.

4. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

5. TerryKing

Help?? "Moving a thread to a Wiki area 'discussion thread'

I'm trying to 'move' the current thread that was started in OnBoard Electronics & Controls >> Using 12v System to Directly Power Computers and other DC Eq.
    to the discussion thread for "Onboard Computers".
    IsThere a way to actually move the posts? Or is copy-paste the best/only way??

Thanks!

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I just did a quick "move" of the posts... hope this is ok. If not, let me know :)

7. TerryKing

MOVE: Great!! I trash my poor copy!!

Thanks!

8. TerryKing

Handling Images in Wiki Pages

Jeff, what's your advice about handling images on the Wiki Pages? Electrical Systems certainly will have many related images; most Wikis probably will, eventually.

****OK, I found the "Upload". Where do these images go?? Are they all in one place for any pages in the wiki?? How should we keep them organized??

I don't want to put big images inline (small ones for immediate illustration are fine).. But: Where can we put them "Inside boatdesign.net" and link to them?? I don't want to make the Wiki dependent on someone's website not changing....

I can FTP etc... whatever works....

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

To my eyes, the stock MediaWiki upload feature is pretty basic and not all that all that user-friendly when getting started, but I think it should be functional for the purpose at hand. (The upload images all go into an uploads folder which is then divided into subdirectories automatically to keep too many files from being put in one folder; but from a user standpoint, they all end up in the same place: http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Special:Imagelist) On the positive side, the Wiki software automatically keeps track of the wiki pages which include the image, so this is a definite plus.

I thought about using the gallery that has been in production for several years now for image uploads for the wiki too, but I suspect using the wiki's built-in upload feature is probably superior at this point due to it showing the wiki pages where each given image is in use automatically on the desc. page next to the file.

10. TerryKing

Jeff, It's fine.. I do wonder what it would be like if this was very active over the years, but no problem now.. I will put the name of the page in the DESC so I can sort the filelist and find what I need, and it's possible to 'copy link location' to pick up the funny URL..

On to the next.... (Problem, of course!)

11. TerryKing

Member knowledge of The Wiki????

Jeff, it seems to me that most/many users that ask a question on the forums don't know the Wiki is there, or how to get to it...

It is possible to add a "sticky" at the head of forums (Such as Construction>Materials) that have a Wiki entry, pointing to the Wiki page??

I know it's early, but in some cases the info there is what they need....

12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I posted a message on the Beaufort Scale discussion. But running the My Contributions tool doesn't hit on that post. Is My Contributions supposed to be limited to the articles only?

Kelly

13. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Yes - the My Contributions tab only lists Articles or article edits on the wiki side of the bridge.

14. CowMan

CowMan Naval Architect

Interesting. A few of us have been working on our own similar project out this way, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to link it here but it's called Narciki, for naval architecture wiki. Will add the boat design wiki to our wikinode.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.