Deck coatings

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by johnW, Jan 24, 2006.

1. johnW

johnW Junior Member

I did a search of the data base and did not come up with any matches. Has anyone used Rhinohide or Sharkskin coating (or similiar) on their decks? The Rhinohide website is informative but as with most boatbuilders I would like some input from someone who has used it. It is a somewhat expensive product and I do not want to waste time or $$ if the product does not work.

It is for the deck of a 42' sailboat.

John Worsell

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Paving paint works well, also acrylic roof paint with a bit of sand lasts well and is easily re-coated. I haven't met either of the brands you mention what is the base material that you are coating?

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Easiest way to go - use whatever your painting your topsides with, chuck in a handful of builders sand (keep it well stirred, like what I does! or better still put a coat of paint on the deck, 'salt' it with the sand) and use a second coat (or more)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

algrip sells a nonskid additive you can put into paint or gelcoat and roll but i rather spray it on use a regular gun the additive is soft and drys as hard as the paint and gives a even looking 80 grit finish

5. safewalrus

sand is cheaper and works the same (or better!)

6. fiberglass jack

like hell it does its clear you havent seen a algrip finsh with urathane or gelcoat its a million dollar finsh and is even

7. fiberglass jack

u can get algrip from compasites canada in missisauga

8. safewalrus

Don't really want a million dollar finish, just something tha'll stop me fallin on my ***! Good dollop of sand in the paint does that! A decent dollop seeded over the deck whilst painting, with a second coat on top (when the weather gets that uppty you tend to be hanging on anyway) That'll do me!

9. jerryniff

jerryniff Junior Member

Since we are in the metal boat section, I would suggest flame sprayed aluminum. The United States Navy used the aluminum flame spray as a non skid at one time. I am not sure what they use now? You can regulate the gas, oxygen and air on the flame spray gun to produce almost any grit finish that you want. When it finally wears out do the same thing again. Come to think of it ...... how long would it take to wear out an 80 grit zinc finish if you were wearing deck shoes?
    Gerald

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

One problem with sand is the abrasive effect on knees elbows etc if you do fall on it. Another softer approach is the paving paint formulated for swimming pool walkways and edges. These are very durable paving paints with a softer overall finish but still with good non-slip properties. In Australia the product most commonly used is called "Tredgrip".

11. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

Another, less aggressive approach - I used on hardwood floors at home -

Sprinkle salt or sugar onto the wet coating. The first time it is wetted
    down, the sharp crystals will dissolve, leaving small bumps with craters in
    them. Experiment a bit, using coarser and finer crystals (rock salt for
    bigger craters), and maybe add a top coat of finish after the crystals are
    gone. (If you use a very fine material, the crystals may be coated all
    over, and won't dissolve until the surface has been abraded a bit, THEN
    wetted.)

This leaves the paint or varnish bumpy, kind of an eggshell texture.

Sal's Dad

1 person likes this.
  12. kingofsportsIII

kingofsportsIII Junior Member

Sole power

I used a material used to make shoes to cover the walkways of my 114' boat. It is mainly sold to companies that use it to cover the bottoms of cheap and durable beach sandals. It comes in black or grey and you can buy it in 10m rolls that are 2m wide (I think I paid $6/sqm). The triangle grip pattern seemed to work the best (make sure peak of triangle is pointing forward). After preparing the fiberglass deck appropriately I used rugby glue and left spaces for the water to drain off. Even the black color can be walked on in direct midday sun with bare feet without doing the Mexican hat dance. It lasted 4 years and looked great before I decided to take a day to strip it off and apply new grip.

I leave a roll or two of the grip matting on the boat and have found a dozen other great uses for it. It always amazes me how much the marine supply stores can get you to spend on a non-skin deck which is inferior to solutions that can easliy be done yourself at less that 5% of the cost.

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Kingofsports3
    Do you have a name we can use ?

Curious
    What sort of boat do you have?

cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.