Stitch and Glue 30' Speedboat plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by engmpoll, May 13, 2009.

1. engmpoll

engmpoll New Member

Hello,

Can anybody recommend where I can get plans from for a speedboat circa 30 - 32' with 8 - 8.5' beam, which utilises the stitch and glue technique of boat building. Single hull or double/tunnel hull considered. Single inboard power and preferably as much deck space as possible to get plenty of friends on board. I think there often refered to as deck orparty boats, but this needs to be suitable for uk open waters/irish sea use.

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

3. engmpoll

engmpoll New Member

Thanks for the link, but i'd checked that one out already. The 2 main websites i've been looking n are Glen-L and Bateau. Anymore recommended sites?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you could offer more details about your desires (and why other designs haven't hit the spot) I could match you up with a design suited to your needs.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Matt,

If I've got this right:
    30 to 32 feet
    Trailerable beam
    Fast
    Carry lots of friends
    In open water

Such boats exist... but I think it would be helpful to know more about what you need, and specifically, what you don't like about what you've already seen.

6. engmpoll

engmpoll New Member

Hopefully this will clear a few queries up.

I've seen a few designs that I like but nothing in stitch and glue which is the technique I really want to use, for me it offers the most bang for buck plus I have helped build a small rowing boat using the technique so I am confindent I can replicate this into something much bigger.

The biggest boat in stitch and glue that I like is 25' and is the Carolina Sportfish 25 (http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=CS25) on the Bateau.com site. While it has deck space it doesn't really have enough for my liking, plus with wanting to run a stern mounted inboard this would eat up quite a bit or deck space. I asked on the Bateau forum if the design could be lengthened but the answer seemed was no. I also like the Lobster Boat 26' (http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=LB26) on the same website but feel it won't give me the ultimate speed that i'm after plus its not stitch and glue. Plus as previously replied on this thread there is this one (http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GS28X) once again not stitch and glue.

On the Glen-L website the Carolina Sportfish 31 (https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=790) is a good looking boat, but its not stitch and glue and the beam is to great for towing. The other boat on there is the Slot machine (https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=810), which is a 32' tunnel hull, with this design it is possible to omit the cabin design and have a big sun deck up front, which I like the idea of, but once again it is not stitch and glue and infact using some techniques which I feel might be beyond the home/driveway builder.

Hopefully this has cleared any grey areas up, but if not ask again and i will try to clarify further.

Thanks in advance

Matt

7. liki

liki Senior Member

The GS28(X) is a stitch-n-glue design while foam core laminate is an option. From the study plans:

"Building method:

The hull material is our well proven epoxy-fiberglass-plywood composite, easy to build and stronger than single skin fiberglass or foam sandwich: boat building foam between two skins of fiberglass in epoxy. "

The construction method consists of plywood panels epoxy'ed together, seams taped and after that the whole surfaces are coated with epoxy laminated glass.

Pure SG designs of this size with only glass taped seams and no laminated surfaces would need considerably thicker plywood planking, I think.

8. KnottyBuoyz

I think you're pushing the limits with the length, beam & speed requirements. Once you go over 30' the beam pretty much has to increase for stability reasons. You'll also have to stick a big honkin' V8 in there to get the performance you're looking for. Some of the designers here can probably describe it better than me but your specs may be unrealistic that's why nobody's designed one.

I've looked at some of the other designers, CMD, Devlin, John Simpson, Pat Bray etc. Once they get to 30+ feet they're pretty much beamy & slow lobster & trawler boats. What you're lookin' for is a fast to build, fast to drive, trailerable party barge. How many is "lots" of friends?

A custom design might be in order to meet your requirements. That'll set you back a few sheckles.

9. engmpoll

engmpoll New Member

KnottyBuoyz,

Thanks for the feedback, I fully appreciate a stonkin V8 will be required and luckily I have one in the making (figured i'd get the motor sorted first as I knew what I wanted from the off). With regards to the number of friends I would like at least 8 to be able to fit with good comfort. Also I think a custom design might blow my budget more than I was hoping!!

As 'liki' pointed out to me, the GS28x is an SG design (I missed that previously in the tech spec) and I like the look of the boat. In fact I think it ticks most of the boxes.

The only design which would win me over is the cruise missle on Glen-L.com a 32' tunnel hull. However could it be built using stitch and glue. I tink I'm going to spend the $15 and get the study plans to have a good look at them.

10. KnottyBuoyz

That's probably a better choice. I'm pretty sure you could adapt the plans to S&G. It might take a little work. Just remember that an amateur built S&G will likely be heavier than planned. Eight people on a 30' boat is a lot. Unless you're going to drop a blown big block in it you might have some problems with performance. :p

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

May I ask why for all in the world it is a MUST to use S+G ?
    There are many valid ways to make a very good boat (usually nicer than S+G). And do not believe that S+G is the easiest way to make a boat!!! Strip planked is at least as easy (and usually nicer in shape) for the novice.
    S+G just looks very simple to be done (and it is), but it´s not the only, and for shure not the best way to make a good "backyard" boat.
    To your demand..............
    shrink the amount of "friends" or go for a bigger boat.
    Regards
    Richard

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I would do it in AIREX ,should some resale value be desired.

FF