Main bulkhead replacement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by N2everythg, Dec 4, 2018.

1. N2everythg

N2everythg New Member

after considerable searching on the net and not finding any solid advice..... thought I would ask here and see what response I got.

I recently purchased an amel 46 project boat that fell off stands during a hurricane. starboard hull midship was compromised when landing on a jack stand. 3 midship bulkheads; companionway, main saloon and 1/2 wall at chart table also received damage. I suspect both compression of starboard hull and potentially from the mast whip when she hit the dirt.. baby stay chain plate on port side also seems to have suffered damage and both the toe rail and chain plate will need to be addressed - again probably due to the excessive force of mast torque/snap when the boat landed.

needless to say I have my work cut out for me for some time to come.

question is this... main forward bulkhead runs from mast step to starboard hull. way too big to fit through companionway hatch at full size. It is cracked at 2 locations above hatch to forward berth and likely will need to be retabbed to starboard hull. Prefer to replace the whole thing but what is the strongest way to replace a bulkhead that wont fit through a companionway door? 6-8" scarfed joins in approx 3' sections and do the scarf inside the boat? epoxy thinner ply bulkhead sections up in the boat with overlapping joints?

existing bulkheads are made up of 3/4 inch ply if it helps.

all this is at least a month or 2 down the road as I am currently working to remove and expose the hull for repair and gain access to the bulkheads...

thanks in advance.
    N2

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.