Mahogany look to a GRP boat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Knut Sand, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

:?: Hi
    About one year ago, I spotted a classic boat (runaboat type), didn't see that it wasn't wood until I was as close as 5 cm to the surface (It was the smell that made me look closer...). It seemed that they had made the boat very similar to any normal GRP boat; Molds as usual, first one layer with some kind of clear polyester (clear gelcoat? Does that exist?) resin, then added a very thin film or cloth of some kind, with mahogany structure/look. Then proceeded as usual with glass and polyester. Anyone here know about what/where/how this film/cloth they were using, and experiences. I feel that it would be pretty easy to trap bubbles underneath a film like that. But the boat I saw were pretty close to a perfect illusion.
    Knut

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.