Duratec Over Epoxy... BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Capt. Chris, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Capt. Chris

Capt. Chris Junior Member

We are at the fairing stage on the 28 Topaz project and as posted early, we needed spray on fairing material. To make a short story long , Duratec has the product we need. VE fairing primer. So, called the plant and talked to the tech guy, very helpful, he said VE products are compatible with epoxy but first you must prime with a VE primer before the VE fairing primer can be applied. The primer went on first followed by the fairing, drying time 1-5 hours. Well, 4 days later still not setting! Found out that solvents in the VE product can soften the west systems 410 fairing compound which causes the primer to stay soft. I'm glad we ran out of time the day the primer when on, we only coated 2/3 of the hull. Much fun was had by all removing a few hundred bucks worth of VE goo. Now we are trying 2-3 coats of clear epoxy after fixing the gauges in the fairing , then 1 heavy coat of epoxy hi- build primer , the maybe we'll get the nerve up to spray on the blue goo on again! Anyone else experience this problem?
    Capt. Chris :confused: :D

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Not surprised if WEST 410 is giving you trouble, it's thermoplastic and doesn't take well to either solvents or heat. I prefer 3M Q-cell glass bubbles, it's mineral based so it won't melt in solvents or go soft when heated, and it's very easy to sand. I think you are on the right track sealing the 410 filler off before proceeding with the next step of the process, let me know how it works.

Yokebutt.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.