PLASTIC BAGS and our WATER WORLD

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Jul 7, 2008.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I just received this slide presentation on plastic bags and their impact on our water world:

This has convinced me to remember to bring my own bags to the market! Once in the slideshow, use the scroll bar on the right side of the screen to scroll through.

Everyone on earth should see this. It's that important.​

And please pass it on-​

1 person likes this.
  2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Pretty compelling. I use mine to line my wastebasket - it does double duty! They do look pretty tacky in trees, and those poor critters!

I'm thinking out throwaway mindset is in for some "attitude adjustment".

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i come from a place where littering is worse then murder,,,,,,then i moved down here to texas,,,,,ALL,,and i DID say ALL the trees round here have plastic damned bags in them,,,,,,,along with bags,,are the plastic rings that hold a 6 pack of soda or beer,,,,them things are like dropping bombs on wildlife :(
    Thanks for the show brian
    hehe ;) Jim

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes Brian and MUCH Ua Tr gr Uk are same, plastic bags festoon the hedges
    I would like to see a totel ban on them, turtles eat them thinking , jellyfish
    Some things are so simple to fix, yet our politicians are so thick

5. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Why does it take a politician to tell you you should dispose of plastic bags in a responsible way or to re use same?

1 person likes this.
  6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thats cause most governments want us to keep b!tching bout what they think is no big deal,,,so we might not see what their doing,,,, should only take 1 picture ( im not sure,,but didnt you post a pic once lazy of a "trash" shoreline?) of this crap to make it all illegal.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

it doesnt,,,and the ones that do litter,,,wont listen to the gov. anyways,,,,,,is like here,,,,texas has a law that states,,if i go into a gas station/store/whatever,,and i leave my keys in the car,,,i get a FINE,,,,,,and why?,,, because im making it possible for a thief to steal my car.....EASIER,,,so, they make it MY fault some idiot steals my car,,,,,,soooooooo,,,, why dont we give the plastic companies a fine ( make plastic illegal) for every plastic bag thats out there littering MY land.

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

good on you to bring this up brian,,,sea turtles eat jellyfish and some times people throw the litlle plastic off of thier cheese slices into the ocean ,,they think they are jellyfish,eat them and strangle or get stomack infections and die ,,

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

it does.nt but they are the only ones who can ban em!!

10. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Choice! you dont have to use them or do we need to be led by people who we elect then regret electing them

11. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

people are led, look the way they voted for that trigger happy maniac Bush, the gen population, cant see it, and never will, so we rely on some courageaous loner to get legislation through, and that takes time and effort
    Afew years ago Kuchma who was president of UA, SAID, We are drowning in a sea of plastic, only sensible thing he ever said,
    But you and I are as guilty, we should be campaigning against? but are you, am I, ? nah

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k.,,,we all agree to NOT use em,,,,,what bout the other 3 billion people?

13. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

True but we need to start some place. Longliner mentioned plactic(little) wrappers from chees slices .I say f#$%k people who need pre-sliced chees

14. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

I think this is on topic ,,before many have suggested .fisherman only exploit the sea,,but a true fisherman knows about as much as a marine biologist,,if not more ,,I knew about the turtles in the early 80s,,,,you have to take care of your flock ,,let them breed and so on ,,keeping a clean enviornment was paramount ,,I fought infurno ,a large ocean going tire burning,and toxic waste burner ,,I fought jack cuestoe,,,,who would make one or two randome stops and declare a spiecies shortage,,,,,,greenpeace ,,they mean well.,,,barges dumping into the sea city trash ,,Im am getting old ,,tired of fighting ,,,,but got a few more left in me ,,not dead yet,,avoid plastic ,,brian has enlightened me ,,I always thought plastic was a by product of oil.,if you have children or grand children ,,make a stand ,and lead by example,and talk to people,word of mouth is also called ,,,,,,grass roots movement,,,let it start here and now,,,,,longliner

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yeah Long jon, off ye down to the supermarket with a tow sack and brown paper bag stuck on a pole and enlighten your community

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.