Things to consider

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sleepyweasel, Aug 6, 2012.

1. sleepyweasel

sleepyweasel Junior Member

Hello,
    New to the site and to boat building, but really enjoy the site and the prospects of giving it a try.
    My question:
    I'm interested in building a small duck boat for myself and my dog to hunt out of. I want a boat that is stable, will carry a large hunter and XL Chesapeake Bay Retriever, can handle some chop, but is still portable and easy to get around.
    I have a design in mind from a scull boat that I owned some years ago, and I believe a wider, shorter version of that boat would do nicely. My concerns are... well, i've never built one before and am wondering about what things to consider in laying out such a plan.
    Any input would be appreciated,
    Thanks, Dan

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Welcome.
    Why not look at some already proven duck-boat designs?

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

It usually cheaper to buy a boat than build it, unless you want to simply enjoy the creative process of building your own design, I would suggest buying jon boat.

If you still want to build your ideal hunting boat, give some more specifics about size, weight, payload, hp, etc. you are considering.

5. sleepyweasel

sleepyweasel Junior Member

I am looking for something in the 12 -14' range. I want a boat that is wide of beam in the stern, aft area and narrows to a pointed bow, like a scull boat used for waterfowling. Oars, paddle, or small electric motor for power will do, but I want it to track well when being paddled. Must be light weight so as to be able to handle, but still hold me, my dog, and a dozen or so decoys.
    The boat I have in mind has a beam of around 45" narrowing to a pointed bow. It's a boat that will handle a mild chop and be easily paddled or oared. I would like fairly high sides as well, so as to facilitate hiding from birds.Displacement should be minimal as to allow shallow water use. This boat should be able to be used for a boat blind, marsh boat, layout boat on larger water, or pulled through the shallow weedy environment of a marsh. The shorter the better.
    I want this boat to be easy to build, and I'm thinking along the lines of stitch and glue construction or a simple frame that can be covered with planking.
    Any help, thoughts, or ideas?
    Thanks,
    Dan

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member