Which small trimaran for cruising/charter

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by eiasu, Oct 21, 2020.

1. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

Hi everybody,
    i am enjoying my 18 feet class A catamaran, and now I would like to change boat.
    I would like a small boat, around 22 feet, that should be capable of 2 different purposes:
    1. sailing fast single-handed and with one crew
    2. earning some money carrying at 4/6 people for a slow 4 hours cruise in the beautiful bay in Naples Italy where i live. Would be great a design that could keep people dry in moderate conditions, let's say with 15knt wind and half meter wave. Or if not dry, at least less wet as possibile ;)
    3. the budget is not so much the point, I would like to find the right design that better matches my requirements and then go for it
    4. retracting rudder and daggerboard is a must to ground in a sand beach
    5. a cabin for 2 sleeps
    6. i love very very much trimarans, with all their limits in terms of space, if no trimaran matches my needs i would chose a catamaran, but is my second option
    I was looking of course to Farrier, and Corsair first, but i ask you pro and cons of all available multihulls that i don't know

Thanks a lot,
    Eiasu

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

6 passengers and one or two crew is putting on a substantial load on a small boat.
    Your passengers safety must be the first concern, so start by calculating anticipated load, then proceed to look at designs that will safely carry such a load.
    Multis in the 22’ An under range tend to be focused on speed rather than load carrying ability.

3. Zeeminner

Zeeminner New Member

Hi, check smalltridesign(.com) for lots of stuff on small trimarans. It mainly focuses on homebuilding, but also reviews some designs.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

22' is a bit small. Silent Bay Charters use a Kurt Hughes designed 24' trimaran for day charters with good success.

5. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

Thank you very much for your answers,
    i had a look at smalltrimaran.com but did not understand much, it's a very chaotic website (i'm a web designer eheheh)
    The Kurt Hughes 24 i also couldn't find, but he has some other small tris on his website, I like his designs.
    I have a great concern for the safety of the passengers, I don't mind that with full load the boat will slow down a lot, I'm fine that she is enjoyably fast with 1 or 2 crew and that under full load the passengers can feel safe and secure.
    Happy sailing!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.