M Hull Update (New hullform Navy Demonstrator)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Smoothride, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Smoothride

Smoothride Dog Owner

Hello All;

Please visit:

http://www.mshipco.com/?page_id=11

It has some of the latest info on the hull technology demonstrator called the M80 Stiletto. This is a SPECWAR boat (special warfare = seals and the like), and the mission is very interesting, but that's not why I posted this thread. The boat has done well, and I'm sure tests will continue on and on. The company seems pleased (that is to say, M Ship). There was another thread from 2004 that talked about surface effect boats, then digressed into WIG stuff (fascinating-- wing in ground effect is different, however). I'm hoping this will generate some new discussion, and also inform or answer questions you may have had from before.

The normal company website link:

www.mshipco.com

Regards,

SR

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

SR- two words: Seriously cool.
    I've been very impressed by M-Ship's technology; watching videos of the things running, it's essentially impossible to tell they were ever there from five boat lengths away. Almost no spray, and a tiny and confusing wake that even the best of homing torpedos would have a hard time tracking. Provided they can deliver on budget and on schedule, I think the Pentagon will be impressed.
    BBS- Some advice, you'll stop getting -ve reputation points if you (a) take the ad link out of your signature, and (b) post comments and thoughts instead of single irrelevant words.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Very pretty - up to what sea state? If it can't tackle force 9's its a waste of time

4. Smoothride

Smoothride Dog Owner

Marsh: It's fast and stable. It's made out of carbon fiber. SP technologies in Southampton is the subcontractor for structures. They were very nice to work with. Wake is minimal, on the prototype M hull, you could do doughnuts and would not slam into you're wake at all, and it was so stable! It uses Arneson surface drives, and Cat diesels.

BBS: That's a big negative, but would like to generate thoughts on it...

Walrus: I don't know what sea state it'll go to, but it's safe to say, they will find out with more testing. A very good thing is that the air cushion from ram air in the tunnels cancels out pounding, something specwar types will appreciate in any sea state.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'm curious, if there's been much investigation yet into waterjet propulsion for the twin-M hullform. Sure it may go like stink with Arnesons, but in a tactical situation I can imagine real benefits from the amazing manoeuverability of jet drives (plus, less vibration, less rooster-tail, and less chance of damage in the shallows). It'd be interesting to see in future, at least as a prototype.

6. Smoothride

Smoothride Dog Owner

Marsh,

I'm not sure of using waterjets for the M80, so far none have been used on the boats as far as I know. It's been over a year since I was there, but isn't slow speed maneuverability with a waterjet a problem? The boat is large and boxy, so wind effects it quite a bit. Waterjets (if indeed week with respect to slow speed handling) could prove inadequate. Then again, I could be wrong! :)
    This boat is meant to operate in a littoral environment. Not being very familiar with waterjets, would the intake get damaged by all the foriegn objects in the inland waters (seaweed/trash etc...)? I think those were arguments for not using waterjets. I'm pretty curious about waterjets though, so any info on them would enlighten me. I've seen them used on the wave piercing high speed cat ferries, and smaller patrol boats use them.

Respectfully,

SR

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.