Lumberyard Skiff, chine material selection

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Douglas A Doty, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Douglas A Doty

Douglas A Doty New Member

I absolutely fell in Love with the Louis Sauzede's Total boat Sport Dory build but I live in the midwest and so availability of good suitable marine lumber and also lack the experience to tackle a boat of that caliber with fine woods is not in my near future. I am considering a lumberyard skiff of the nearest design I can muster but was wondering about locally sourced bottom planking and chine materials as well as the strakes attached to the bottom and bow sides for proper tracking.

Here was what I have been noodling around. I do have reasonable access (2-3 hour ) drive to marine plywood. I think I could laminate up the chines from scarfed and then laminated marine plywood, use it for the chines sides and transom as well. ??? thoughts ??? Bottom too but I would rather plank it the way that boat was made and I think it is needed to provide side support compared to lesser thickness plywood and I just want it to be cross planked on the bottom in the more traditional style of the Narraganset sound area boats. What more common woods are available in the Midwest that are suitable. No quarter sawn fir 5/4 decking in this area that I am aware of...
    Mine would be a permanent trailer boat for what it is worth...

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

White oak is heavy, but resists rot and can take a hammer hit and barely dent.

Any of the ash species are a close second on impacts and a bit lighter and less likely cross graining than the oak.

I would use ash.

3. Douglas A Doty

Douglas A Doty New Member

Thanks and i appreciate your reply, I will certainly look into these options.