LPG hot water system for small craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by trip the light fandango, Aug 12, 2018.

1. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

My Bosch isn't mounted inside Fallguy.
    It's mounted in the wall, protruding inside but sealed so it vents outside.
    The controls are accessible from the inside through a sealed door.
    But I don't have to access it other than to change settings.
    All the propane lines and tanks are outside.
    The houseboat (25') is gas so I am vigilant about fumes.
    Failsafe is the only way to go when dealing with gasoline and/or propane.
    Shut-off is automatic, by solenoid, at the tank.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

But you are running the boat in freshwater, too, right?

I am planning both fresh and salt.

3. BlueBell

No, I live on the ocean but run fresh water from tanks through the heater.
    I'm usually tied to a dock with tap-water, so no need to heat ocean water.
    I never even considered running salt water through it.
    But off the dock it would be an interesting proposal.

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

In Australia approved instant gas water heaters for marine use must have a pilot light blowout auto gas shut-off if mounted below decks ( and a vented exhaust) . The install has to have a gassfitters inspection tag.
    There are a lot of the small Bosch units in use in Australia mounted inside, I had one for nearly 20 years on one of my boats and I'd highly recommend them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    boatymcboatface likes this.
  5. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

Firstly I meant "no offence" to policemen in general, because I couldn't for the life of me think of a reason why you would bang on about using a portable LPG heater that is designed for out door use so I wondered whether you might be related to a policeman as I had mentioned one, and that offended you....Giving you an out. I get you're a licensed plumber or a champion of the cause, how come you don't know about these portable units? And why on earth as a qualified tradesman or reasonable person are you commenting on something you have never set eyes on, or haven't even heard of, or bother to understand the intended use ? This makes you unqualified to comment, but here you are, just like me ,brother.
    Implying I am stupid and a potential risk to the community is mildly offensive, annoyingly so,..I bit, I shouldn't have, you got me.

That you personally initiated the derision of character and then ask the question of ; "why do people ...have a passive aggressive way..?",is emblematic and enlightening enough.
    I came here to join in a robust but friendly forum and in future I will be harder to draw, I'd venture, lesson learned, regards

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  6. trip the light fandango

That was why I started to get interested in the portable camping units, they also have auto shut off for blow out and don't require fitting. I don't have any plans to mount the unit inboard, all my usable space is mainly in the open air and gas bottles are normally mounted in the open air as well. Gas can't really get into my bilge but combined with having an outboard motor the case for having a fume alarm begins to stack up anyway. I keep the petrol tank out of the cabin also. These Chinese lpg systems must be AUS certified also., thanks for the reply.

7. trip the light fandango

I agree it is a little flippant to mention using lpg on a petrol 4 stroke when it isn't designed for it, but I did mention emergency. and the original post could have been constructed better. These portable systems are AUS certified for outdoor use, done sensibly could work well. but corrosion is the main issue.

If for some reason a four stroke is getting low on fuel and the craft really needs to get out of the situation and it doesn't look like it will make it,.. by tapping the flexible gas tube into the air inlet[which is drawing air ] you can gradually introduce gas as you shut off the petrol valve. Low to medium revs. One would assume it was calm weather. An important part of survival at sea is knowing all your options, however flaky depends on the circumstance, it can be done safely. Safer than getting mashed into a headland anyway.
    I am interested in useful non abusive feedback, I shouldn't have bitten but mcboaty just ground my gears, I'll live n learn..hopefully.. regards

8. boatymcboatface

boatymcboatface Junior Member

I know about those units we call them hot water systems in the gas game and all of these fandangled things have those thingy majingy pilot safety lighty dooby whakers in them, even the land luber hot water units have emm yup sure do.

not here to offer advice (read on to find out why) just to make you aware of what potential can of worms your about to open up because your obviously willing to take the chance here, and about installation requirements in caravans boats and RV's have done numourous service jobs and instalations as well as supply a gas certificate with any work I do(part of my legal obligation is making sure a service is compliant befor I even touch it and if found to be dangourous I am to disconnect it and report it to the autorities) but I'm not here to verify my skills with you the government has already done that. there is no way that as a licenced gasfitter I will give advice to member's of the public on how to modifiy and bastardise an approved gas item by changing the pilot light arangment. I wouldn't even give you any type of gas advice other then to call a qualified person.
    good might make you think about it and wake up to what your wanting to do
    and your running an outboard engine on lpg is the craziest bat **** I have ever heard
    just hold the hose over the carby and let the gas flow in but only in emergencies
    lol so you got a spare 9kg gas bottle for emergencies but no vhf radio lol

yeah actually do what ever you want you might just get your self a "Darwin award"

9. trip the light fandango

It isn't my version of Salom but go for your life champ. You don't really understand it doesn't require a gasfitter and is perfectly legal, I have no intention of altering the pilot light set up, your inability to comprehend is just plain creepy, go away.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  10. trip the light fandango

The answer for me is attach a boiler very much the same as what is inside any water heater[gut one] made for it ,mated to a standard good probably cast gas ring,[my main cooker] a quality auto shut off is important or due diligence is required, a 12volt water pump with a temp gauge/ alarm perhaps, cheap gismo crappy covers/casing aren't required, use quality stainless sheet cowling, overall the concept is light , versatile and a real comfort in otherwise compromised conditions, worthwhile .Paradoxically I have Boaty to thank for enlightening me as to the trunk of if you don't think for yourself ,always defer to the ticketed regardless, for they are. Itself simply dangerous. Don't buy cheap crap because it has passed standards/ got its tickets, it's nothing more than planned obsolescence/temporary economic efficiency shortcuts that show what is possible with this approach today, and the right lobby group., however tempting. Answer, not a good match if I want more than a couple of seasons maybe. Many thanks to those subtly pointing the way.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Lpg into carb is what got everyone riled up friend.

It is a horrible notion. Of course, lpg is used as an outboard as a dedicated source, but watching you shoot lpg into a carbureted combustion engine is something for bombproof suits and mythbusters. Nope. They wouldn't be that crazy. Backfire?

Sometimes people telling you the idea is dumb is the nicest they can be.

I'd say it is batshit crazy.

Stop stirring the pot; this place isn't made for dangerous concepts some idiot might think is wise.

12. BlueBell

Hold on here gang.
    If faced with getting slammed into a rock wall in a 30 knot gale or bleeding propane into a starving carburetor, I'm all over the propane idea and I'm a pretty safety conscientious guy.
    But enough said, lets not get into a pissing match.
    Maybe it would be prudent to attach a fitting on the carb for such emergencies/alternatives/options.

13. trip the light fandango

I really like that idea, it's is one of those clever little options that could help when you have minimum equipment, needing to keep things light that is a back up. LPG is another combustible but it stores energy well, and apart from carbon monoxide is pretty clean...I didn't go into how the gas has to be operated at the valve and brought on listening to the revs while the petrol is switched off as the bowl runs out.
    There is something to be said for knowing how to avoid a bad situation seamlessly, or at least knowing how. I didn't go on about it because I didn't want to send the complete explanation, for the very reason it could encourage someone with no understanding of what they are doing. I agree as a public forum member it is risky in that it could lead to an explosion if you didn't know you have to be the regulator of gas yourself, and don't smoke especially if it's hot and still. But aren't we mainly talking to old crew that have boats and water in their blood?
    I was talking to them and pointing out a last resort which for me is a big part of safety. But I take the point and I don't want to be tempted to defend myself against enraged people. I could have worded the thing better.

14. trip the light fandango

Oh I got that bloke riled up before that, but look I take your point, I just couldn't bring myself to take his, I can do a pretty good number in ridicule, it's not something that looks much good when read back , however loaded or witty.
    Look people should never try to do something that is beyond their abilities at the time because they didn't realise just how dangerous it is,especially in a state of panic ,..with no understanding of their position, it is as close to a human acting out batshit as you can get, I wasn't catering for them, you're right. What ever I said wasn't enough to risk someone not knowing what it meant and then acting upon it, my responsibility in part, their decisions. I explained more on the other post as to why, but you're still right ,regards

15. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Lpg raw input vs engine backfire.

Need more than a fitting I'd say.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.