LPG hot water system for small craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by trip the light fandango, Aug 12, 2018 at 6:21 AM.

1. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Junior Member

A portable camping version that cost about$150 [aus], apart from the fact these things can't cope with more than 10mph wind, they seem to be a match made in heaven, with some adjustments. After all we can guarantee there is a source of water, salt will need flushing and a 12volt pump is normally required.
    A carry bag [probably not rust resistant enough to stow on a mooring] as they weigh 6kgs, and a snorkel or 2 for air in and exhaust out. also a system of hot water bottle stations for seating areas which could be piped together with shut off valves if desired . The idea of a hot bath after a long tiring passage or just to warm up and relax on a weekend adds a level of comfort you just don't get on a small craft. Anyone tried it or have an opinion on this?
    I haven't invested yet so fire away. Tiny sea creature soup to bathe in anyone?
    I'm just relieved to be not under the moniker of "alering the amas", from my last inauspicious and fraught post, sheesh it didn't even make sense,. A cheap gas alarm for the bilge and the back up of having lpg onboard as an emergency substitute fuel for a 4 stroke adds to the allure.. . cheers

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:13 PM
  2. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

My daughter has just such a propane heater near the stream where we were building her house. She bought a galvanized livestock bin, 24 inches x 60 inches, and uses it as a bathtub. Small electric pump thru the propane heater, and a fine bath before we had plumbing in the new house.

My steamboat burns propane, and many warn against using it because the propane gas is much heavier than air, so if there is a propane leak, it accumulates in the lower portions of the boat, forming a possible explosion hazard. Just be careful, sniff for propane smell in the bilges before lighting anything

3. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Junior Member

$17aus for a portable 12volt detector, I was thinking of sliding the hot water service in a light frame hanging off the boat a little like a bbq ,thus wind protection required . I would be sticking my nose in the bilge after extended use though, just in case. I'm checking the web for hot seawater bathing, so far it seems safe and therapeutic, thanks for the reply, I think steam boats are wonderful things, regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.