LP Question--pitfalls and things I should watch out for?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by searaytuna, Jul 7, 2006.

1. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

I have a LP project on a 25' powerboat. It was sprayed with major orange peels, runs, drips and I am coming to fix(?) it. It was originally sprayed with proline, and I am thinking of spraying with interlux. Boat has been faired and most of the peels are gone and feels smooth to touch. However, when seen in light, you can still see some sparkles in the low areas where there is still a shine in the original paint. Will these affect the final finish?

Question. what are some things I should watch for not to reproduce the crappy result from the last guy. should I step up and spend the $$ on sterling instead of inturlux? What is the best ratio of reducer to paint? I use a 1.3mm, 1.9mm(gelcoat) sata, what is the best tip size for this application? I heard there were colored/pigmented catalyst? THis boat will be painted in a semi-outdoor in a stall, and i am a bit concerned with dust. With gelcoat, I can fair to get rid of the dirt problem, but I do not have that luxury(?) with LP. Other than watering the ground, any other methods of dust control? Thanks for reading.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

If there's still sparkles in the low areas you will probably have to do more sanding. Interlux's little blue booklets (free from your dealer) detail exactly which abrasives and solvents to clean with, in which order, and how to prime over various types of old finishes.
    Interlux paints are pretty good (and pretty pricey already!). Only spray if you've sprayed boats many times before and are absolutely certain that you're good at it; if you're unsure, then roll-and-tip is probably a better method and if carefully done will give at least as good a finish as spraying.
    As far as dust is concerned, I subscribe to the plastic-tarps-over-everything school; tape the seams if you need to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.