lower unit

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by crohrer, Aug 12, 2010.

1. crohrer

crohrer New Member

Has anybody bought a lower unit from SEI Marine products i need to get a new unit for a 90 hp johnson thanks

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

not for a johnson, but sei's mercruiser replacements

I don't have enough hours on them to give an insightful comment, and I haven't tried one of their outboard lowers, but over the past 2 years I've purchased four complete units - upper and lower mercruiser alpha replacements (a pair sei 106 and a pair sei 116) where I didn't have the budget for merc. I still have the 116s but as expected when I bought them haven't put as many hours on them as I'd like. So far so good. The price was 1/2 merc. Dealing with the company was great, packing was great for shipping, assembly went just as easy as with oem, and I like their 3-year no hassle warranty (though I haven't needed to use it.) No unreasonable amount of metal on the magnet and didn't notice the noise that some complain of compared to oem esp. during breakin. I don't think the paint finish is as good as oem quality (I found a couple tiny nics/imperfections and it didn't hold on where the upper and lower were assembled and disassembled on one), and I did notice for some non critical things the tolerance may not be as close (specifically, on mine the tolerance for two of the quicksilver zincs are tight compared to the oem drive - no big deal.) We'll see how it goes - no regrets at this point but not enough time with them to really give you much of an answer.

3. crohrer

crohrer New Member

Jeff thanks for all your infi Chuck

4. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

I have 2 good used freh water lower units from 1990 Johnsons

for sale or trade for firearms or Guitars/Amps

$500 each

Get them out of my basement! I need the room

WickedGoodOutdoors@maine.rr.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.