Low Water Pick-up and Jackplates, worth while?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by LinedTheBlind, Jan 17, 2007.

1. LinedTheBlind

LinedTheBlind Junior Member

I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who is knowledgable about transom-mounted water pick-ups (or low water pick-ups) which, in conjuction with a jack plate, allow you to raise an outboard up higher to run in shallow water. I've got just a small 20hp outboard.

How far (inches) can the motor typically be raised up with a transom mounted pick-up? How much clearance would i gain by adding the pick-up?

I have a small boat and won't be adding a hydraulic jack plate, but could add small manula plate. Can I run at top speed with the motor permanently set at a shallow water hight?

Thanks.

2. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:) I just added a hyd. jackplate. Got it from this site
    http://www.bobsmachine.com/
    They have good tech support, ask them. They offer both types. Trnsom & lower unit.
    You will need a water pressure guage for sure.
    I choise not to use a pick up (yet anyway) be cause I will just use mine to lift over things here in the swamp. I won't be extended running. I asked the same question as you have. Maybe someone will answer us both.
    Set your lowest height so the cav plate of the motor is 1/2" above the boat hull bottom. Most plates lift 6""
    :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.