SAIL to POWER

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by tschienque, Dec 21, 2004.

1. tschienque

tschienque Junior Member

Well I'm getting to the age when I'm considering giving up SAIL and converting to POWER.

Now my boat just about does everything I want of her at present (she's a 40' Wharram catamaran) but will want to up my cruising speed from current 9.0-9.5 with 25hp outboard. I'd like to get about 13-15 knots cruising.

I bought Dave Gerrs Propellor handbook to see how much power I'd need to achieve that kind of cruising speed. Well I couldn't understand hide nor hair of it! (Sorry Dave if you're on here). Far too many variables!

Also it seemed not to address the sleeker LWL/Beam ratios of catamarans that make them easier to drive through the water.

SO - is there a formula that I can apply to determine power requirements for catamaran hulls?

Basic data 34' LWL, Beam@WL 3', Cruising displacement 6 tons

Help!

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Search the archives for Long Skinney boats , and you will find a link to a British computer that will work the entire drag ( therefore Power required) out for you.

FAST FRED

3. Is the beam really 3' ? I have never heard of L to W ratio of 11 to 1.

4. tschienque

tschienque Junior Member

ratios of 10+ : 1 are commonplace in catamarans & tris; that, along with no ballast to drag around everywhere are a couple of reasons for their ability to go beyond the 1.4 * √LWL speed restraint on displacement vessels

5. Now I don't feel bad about a 2 seat wood runabout 20' X 4' X 3' with a Cleaver bow. A 40's woody. Plans look great. Was not sure about L to W ratio being " normal".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.