Low maintenance design considerations

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jake101, Jul 9, 2016.

1. jake101

jake101 Junior Member

Hi All,

I am in the process of designing a 30-ish foot long aluminium runabout.

i have done a search and couldn't find much.

One thing i am always conscious of is keeping the maintenance to an absolute minimum. when i go home after a weekend out i just want to blast the boat with some fresh water(preferably deionized) and walk away.

i have worked on lots of boats so i know a few things that can be a pain in the but, but I don't have a world of experience trying to foresee these things.

also if something brakes or gets damaged small things can become a massive job if things weren't made to be removable or disassembled.

does anyone want to throw in their 2 cents worth in regards to what i should consider when designing/building a new boat?

one thing that drives me up the wall is poorly placed scuppers, ie they are up hill. or no scuppers at all.

another thing is bolts/screws that aren't easily accessible.

any body else have some pet hates that I can learn from?

any products (chemicals/coatings/etc) that people can recommend to reduce maintenance would be great to.

Thanks for any advice

Jake

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.