Marine Toyota 4.46 to Yanmar?

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by rosbullterrier, Oct 23, 2011.

1. rosbullterrier

rosbullterrier Junior Member

I hear the recently announced Yanmar 8LV is the marinised Toyota Landcruiser 4.46 V8.
    One of these sounds everything my boat would need to replace old OMC V6's.

Except the mortgage to purchase would be more than for my house - any thoughts on marinising the Landcruiser engine?

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yanmar wouldn't have done that if the Toyota engine wasn't suitable, so let's assume it is an excellent basis for a boat engine.

BUT.... unless you have a source other than Yanmar for some specific parts like exhaust manifolds and the bell housing, you still need to mortgage your house because the spare part prices are outrageous. Is there nothing from Lancing Marine to satisfy your needs?

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The lancruiser 1HD is the yanmar 6LP.

The 6LP was made to fit many American re engine.

In the 4 valve config it is 300HP.

Overhailing your v6 would be most economical Rodley Motors Bradford for all yanky bits. Even maybe a short motor or a Chevy 350 but Yes Lancing--and hes only up the road from you.

4. rosbullterrier

Thank you for your interest gents. Those two particular items, the exhaust manifolds and bell housing I'm sure could be overcome without too much grief.
    I've welded a stainless water cooled riser exhaust for one of my present 3.8 OMC V6 because they are just not available (here) Works well.
    For just one engine, making a bellhousing to fit a Bravo outdrive might be worthwhile.

No it's the marine engine bits which I don't know about - is the diesel pump the same. What needs changing for brass - eg core plugs. I presume the camshaft would be a different profile. Turbo's might be different.

Ideas gent's?

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

For a successful marinising project the engine is led to believe it is still in a car, so seawater should be kept away from it.

If you can make the two critical items, you won't have problems with making engine supports and a bracket for a small raw water pump. You also need a heat exchanger with a small expansion tank. That is a difficult item for a DIY job unless you are familiar with the construction and have access to thin walled titanium or tungsten tube. You could use copper if you are willing to replace the innards every 4 or 5 years.

There is no need to change turbo chargers, core plugs or camshafts. To increase the air mass, install a large car heater between the turbine output and the air intake, using the water pump output for cooling. The inter cooler must be electrically isolated from the engine to reduce corrosion, so the air duct must be made from grp or anything else that doesn't conduct.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Looks at watch --is it April the 1st again.

7. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

they are a crap engine in a landcruiser, why would you put one in a boat. a few people around her have new cruiser v8 diesel utes and are very disappointed with them, the main gripe is extremely poor fuel economy.

8. rosbullterrier

Thank you gents. I'm sure replacing the heat exchanger every 4 years would be possible and Jabsco make many pumps. Excellent idea re the chargecooling.
    I thought the camshaft in a marine engine had a different profile to compensate for non automotive use?

These are a V8 370hp diesel - aimed at a re engining market. Would they be more acceptable for performance marine use than for automotive?
    I have just read about about this recently marketed lightweight Yanmar 8LV, if it were possible to convert it should be ideal for a 26 foot sports boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.