Keel Cooling

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by dj0443, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dj0443

dj0443 Junior Member

I posted this topic in another,but I think this is the right section to post.I am wanting to put a LS6 corvette engine in my pontoon.The engine is 370 hp with a aluminum block.I have converted my pontoon over to a tritoon with a 175 outboard.My questions are:

2. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Yes? Questions are? BIG BLANK.

3. dj0443

dj0443 Junior Member

I posted this topic in another,but I think this is the right section to post.I am wanting to put a LS6 corvette engine in my pontoon.The engine is 370 hp with a aluminum block.I have converted my pontoon over to a tritoon with a 175 outboard.My questions are:

4. dj0443

dj0443 Junior Member

Sorry,Hit wrong button. 1. I am wanting to put a keel closed circulation cooling system on.I would place the cooling tubes inside lifting strakes.I know how to fab the pipes,I just do not know how what size or how many pipes.I figured on 4 ea 1/4 X 15' tubes on each side of the center toon.They would be made of copper. 2. What about water cooled headers to help with weight and exhaust heat.Would use water from outdrive to cool headers.I know there is a formula to figure the sizes and footage of pipeing.I am not good and formulas,but better with my hands.Thanks

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Why a Keel Cooler?
    Kentucky water can be kinda warm. Why not a normal Cooling system with the Heat exchanger and 50/50 anti-freeze mix in the engine?

I had some exhausting experiences with a Keel-cooler out in the Pacific NW. It's not something I'd ever have again.

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Its too much to copy and paste . Google... Google Books.....Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook: How to Design, Install, and Recognize ... By Dave Gerr. Mr Gerr gives the formula for keel cooler surface area and recommended system layout components.