lowering coachroof profile

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by peleg7, Feb 9, 2016.

1. peleg7

peleg7 Junior Member

I've a 1966 Illingoworth designed sloop that has a coachroof that is too high for my taste. Cutting it and sobstuting with a new one means a lot of work as I should also change shrouds, cutting bulkheads, so I must find another - more practical - solution.
    Any idea?:confused:

Michele

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Beautiful boat. What is the reason you want to lower the cabin? Is it for performance? I am not a fan of boats with too much freeboard or full standing headroom, but this boat seems perfect as is. What am I missing?

3. Jamie Kennedy

Theoretically, if it was for racing, you could strip it out down below, lengthen the cockpit, and turn the cabin into more of a cuddy. Also lower the boom to make the mainsail larger and more efficient. Is that what you mean? What is the boat used for?

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Looks Good to me, I like a boat that has a good balance between freeboard and coach roof height. This is always a challenge with smaller boats and still attain headroom. Many design tricks of the trade are used to attain this including something as simple as the paint scheme. In my view the designer has done a better job than most on yours --

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I am not getting this. If I understand correctly, you want to lower the coachroof of that boat without cutting it? :confused: Can you deflate it?

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Michele, you might consider painting the sides and front, just not all the way to the top.

Leave the roof and the upper parts of the sides white.

That may visually achieve the effect you want.

Best thing: you can play around in Photoshop to see if it works and spend no money until you think you know it will.

1 person likes this.
  7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Aesthetic changes to lower the visual impact of the cabin side would be to paint the cabin side a dark color, with a lighter (white) roof and hull sides. It'll be the cheapest way to go.

You could add a bulwark, instead of a toe rail and paint it a dark color, again using this visual trick to lower its impact.

The "eyebrow" trim around the edge of the roof will also serve to lower the roof line, if painted a dark color, as will staining the grab rails dark.

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Strap a dozen cheap air mattresses to the ceiling and cover with flattened cardboard boxes to the ceiling to simulate the new lower profile interior space.

It might make you change your mind, thus solve the problem.

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

As PAR said, a cleverly applied paint job would very much change the boats appearance. Can't imagine why you want to reduce the cabin height.

10. peleg7

peleg7 Junior Member

It sounds as a great idea! thanks

11. peleg7

peleg7 Junior Member

What do you think if I apply on the coachroof sides those 3M boatwrap with a wood effect?

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It will look like an early 1970's Buick station wagon, with the same treatment. A vinyl wrap is an fairly short lived option, that's not too costly, though I'd think you can be by much cheaper with a DIY paint job.

13. Jamie Kennedy

What's not to love?
    [​IMG]

14. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

An Aggie (a graduate of Texas A&M) bought a station wagon with "wooden" sides. When he got it home he stripped off the "wood". When he was done his wife opined that it looked better in the factory crate.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.