Love Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kostisoutback, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kostisoutback

kostisoutback Junior Member

I will start by saying hello. My name is Kostis and I am not a boat designer. I have a question and if this is the wrong place please move the thread and accept my apologizes. So my question.

My perfect boat is (and i don't want to insult other peoples designs) Lyle Hess cutter. I love the fact that you get almost as much space down bellow as you your length on deck. Also I love 2 things about the rescue ships designed by Colin Archer. 1) The rigging. Gaff rigged ketch!!! 2) The space on deck. But I don't like the double enders because of aesthetic preferences and because I think some space is wasted.

My question now. How do i go about it? Hire an architect? Hire an architect and buy Hess plan and have him adjusted?

I guess I will hear from you the obvious that buying a used boat is going to be so much cheaper.... etc etc. What is my experience in boat building, and if I have pockets.

Well, I have none of that. No experience no deep pockets. But I can still dream. So, to make things easier I wanted to ask If it would be possible to have the frame lofted out so I would just do the hull and deck.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. 1 My sail area of interest would be very north open seas.

P.S.2 Please, who ever feels the need to tell me I am an idiot, I already know that. So just stick to the subject.

2. kostisoutback

Did i say something wrong here?

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Maybe no-one noticed your enquiry just yet. But is sounds "ambitious" with no experience and a shortage of funds.

4. kostisoutback

It is Mr Efficiency. But It does not need to be completed all at once. From the info I shared is there an other boat coming to your mind that comes close?

Thank you for answering

5. Mr Efficiency

I have no expertise in such boats, there are plenty here that do, though, but I suspect they will tell you it is impractical to be contemplating building with no experience, a boat of this size and type. What is it you are thinking of, carvel construction ?

6. kostisoutback

Yes. Size i wanted around 30 not too big

7. bpw

bpw Senior Member

Your ideas of the ideal boat may change after you spend time sailing.

Buy something cheap now and go sailing, it's a lot more fun than dreaming about a boat you cannot have and you will learn what you really want.

8. kostisoutback

i already have a boat I don't like. My plan is to keep playing with it and keep dreaming. So I am not spending money on anything else ( or the boat I have now) and save for my dream

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

5 years ago I started a boat build project. If I had known the future of the used boat market at that time it certainly would not have been a project I would not have pursued, especially combined with the now 30% higher value of the U.S. dollar. Here in eastern Canada it's a buyers market like never before. From your description you are favoring old school full keel designs. If money is tight, I recommend something like a Cape Dory requiring a re fit. There were a couple here in the 30ft. range for sale a few months ago for between $5000 & $10,000. These are bullet proof old school full keel heavy hand laid glass. Think Buyers Market not Builders Sweat.

10. kostisoutback

You guys are right. Absolutely right. But I would love to have a classic gaff ketch. Not a sloop. Maybe get something like a formosa ketch and turn it to a gaffer if I can't get what i want

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well, to start, how much sailing experience do you have on old cutter style cruisers? How much sailing experience do you have sailing in general? How much experience building, repairing and maintaining traditionally built yachts? You do realize there's nothing cheap about ownership of a 30', high D/L pilot cutter, right? If on a tight budget, you must consider buying a formerly loved boat, as a new build will be prohibitive in this regard.

If you have none of the above, then your options seem obvious. Building a 30' yacht, particularly a traditionally built pilot cutter, is simply just not reasonable. To directly answer your question, look around. There are plenty of old school designs with transom sterns that have the features and accommodations you desire. Atkins and Benford come to mind immediately, though there are dozens of other designers out there with this sort of offering. Typically these types of boats are heavy and a 28' LWL cutter will be in the 20,000 pound range. You pay for every pound of material you put into a build. Run down to the local big box store and see how much 20,000 pounds of 2x4's costs.

12. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Have you looked at the typical boat design books?
    What about wooden boat construction?

This is not my interest, but there are lots of books by well known designers which should help you know the boat designs available.
    Woodenboat.com has lots of traditional boat building books.

Hopefully someone here will suggest the better books.

Come on guys.

PAR is a well known designer. At least listen to his point that you have lots to learn.
    Building something smaller to learn boat construction will benefit you is a lots of ways and build up your tools and skills, while not risking too much money and time while finding out if you really have enough desire to finish.

What kind of boat do you have now?

13. SaugatuckWB

SaugatuckWB Junior Member

Look at your first post again

Kostis,

Reread your first post. Every reply has been exactly as you predicted. Buy a used boat, etc. etc.....

You are wasting your time here if you think someone will "stick to the question". That's not what this forum is about unfortunately.

Get a design and build what you want. It's not that hard, more perseverance than anything else.

Good luck,
    Chris

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Have you looked at the Atkins Jonquil http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Jonquil.html
    What do you think about that?

How about the Ted Brewer Tern http://www.tedbrewer.com/sail_wood/tern.htm

I found both those by going to search on "ketch sailboat plans" and looking at the images.

I am the last person to tell you what to build, but if I can find those in 10 minutes, you might be able to find what you want.

Nobody can control responses to a thread. Everyone gives you the benefit of their experience which might be useless to you. But there is some value if you show you are serious, by doing some research.

Up to you.

15. Mr Efficiency

Stump up some cash so he can speed the process ! ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.