Mold/Mould building

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by svfrolic, Nov 26, 2012.

1. svfrolic

svfrolic Junior Member

I wonder if anybody tried to construct female boat mold using plywood finished with Formica? I am thinking about small, hard chine dinghy size boat.

2. Ally Hazzan

Ally Hazzan New Member

Yes, certainly we have done lots small boat one off female molds using something similar like formica, but its not exactly formica, its pvc very thin film veneered 3mm plywood. Its so flexible you can bend to the boat curves, but proper spacing for temporary framing and longitudinal battens should use to get the proper hull shape. The you may glue veneered plywood, you may need carpentry skill little bit..if you give me you mail i will send you some of the works we have done by this method..have nice day..Ally Hazzan

3. svfrolic

svfrolic Junior Member

Thank you for info. I will have to research this pvc veneer and see if I can find it locally. I would appreciate all input and info. my email is svfrolic@gmail.com
    Thanks!

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Yep,lots of people do it,formica makes a good mold surface. Ive made lots of female molds for items like hardtops this way.

Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.