Torrified Wodd

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by drewcathell26, Jul 28, 2009.

1. drewcathell26

drewcathell26 Junior Member

Is anyone using Torrified wood in boat building. From what I have read and seen to date it seems like it might have a lot of advantages to offer.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

You cannot use it in boatbuilding (or construction in general), due to the higher brittleness and lower bending values. It is more or less a decorative wood with higher resistance to funghi, moisture, rot than the untreated timber.

Regards
    Richard

3. drewcathell26

drewcathell26 Junior Member

I was thinking of it for use as a worm shoe where flexibility isn't an issue but the other aspects you mentioned might be a value.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Worm shoe? Tell a German what that is, please.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks mark!

Of course, for that application the timber is a good choice! Some of the different timbers tend to resist Epoxy penetration when heat treated, you should make a test before buying a whole forest!

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I never find sacrificial worm shoe practical. The worms after changing the shoe, has a tendency to go in between the worm shoe and the keel, and mostly also the rot also start at the fastening holes. I prefer to put a very well bedded with roofing tar a steel bar and fastened with also well bedded screw. I had in my experience better result. A nice coat of black varnish or coal tar epoxy finish the job quite neatly.
    But it is true that I know people who had very good result with classic sacrificial warm shoe, mostly in oak.
    I find also that the worms like the stern post area, between the keel and the rudder. It seams always the open door for there own "restaurant" since at that particular place, the paint is always lacking.
    Well my two cents
    Daniel

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thats the place with the highest water disturbance, therefore the highest oxygen content in the water, which makes barnacles happy and paint corrode.

9. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

cavitation is a worms best friend

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.