Flybridge & Superstructure structures

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ToMeK, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ToMeK

ToMeK Young naval architect

Hello dear Boatdesigners,

I am trying to find some existing solutions on how to connect deck with superstructure with or without flybridge in GRP boats, how to ensure structural integrity and how to define laminate plan for sides and GRP structure inside superstructure?
    Are there any pilars or frames that are usualy built in superstructure to give support to flybridge deck? Can anyone please help me with details showing gluing joints between deck-side(structure) and side (structure)-fly deck?
    I tried to find some videos on internet on assembling superstructure but I couldn't find any.

Any kind of help, advice, sketch or information from your side will be very helpfull.

Many thanks in advance,

Best,

Tom

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

There are many solutions for everything that you propose but, to select the most suitable for your boat it would be necessary to know it. Would it be possible for you to tell us what your boat is like, dimensions, hull, deck, superstructure, ... The first thing that should be done is the conceptual design of the structure to be able, as a second step, to define the scantlings of its elements and design all the joints between those elements.

3. ToMeK

Thank you for your reply TANSL.

Exactly. This conceptual (geometry) part is the one that I am struggling with.

Boat is 45ft LOA, hull and deck made in GRP (e-glass + vinylester resin). Something similar to Beneteau Antares 11 FLY - LINK -

Thanks again,

Best,

Tom

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Tom, can you post any copies of the drawings that you have produced so far please?

That Beneteau Antares has a lot of glass (relatively) in it's superstructure, hence you do not have much space for building in structure to support it all.
    You will probably have to incorporate box beam pillars as well.
    And remember to allow for racking (sideways) forces on the structure.
    Will the walls of the superstructure be cored, or single skin GRP?
    Have you decided yet how much weight (re crew numbers) will have to be supported on the flying bridge?

5. ToMeK

Unfortunately I am not allowed to share anything because I am under NDA.

Correct. This is my consern. Otherwise there would be no problem if the glass areas were smaller.
    By box beam pillars, do you mean steel frame with rectangular cross section or GRP pillars consisting of PVC core and laminated all around? I had something similar in mind, but I was not sure how to model connections between deck and pillars, and pillars and roof. By this I mean gluing surfaces. Probably there will be some brackets in between, in the corners?

Whether walls will be cored or not depends on geometry of walls. If the area is bigger, they will be cored.

Number of crew on fly is still to be discussed with client and designers, but this does not influence geometry of flybridge supporting structure significantly.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.