lost in power ???

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by nautical, Apr 30, 2007.

1. nautical

nautical Junior Member

Hi guys. I did a power analysis in HullSpeed for a 30 m cruise at 14 knots. and the power required seems to be like 600 KW (about 1000hp) considering an overall propulsive efficiency of 50 %

and i am choosing 2 of these engines

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/sin...orleisureboats/diesel_inboard/d9-500/spec.htm

Now I checked one of the propcalc data sheets from the forum. And it says i will require 2400 Hp to achive an speed of 14 knots. Isnt this way too much power.

Can someone pls help me with this and also guide me to estimate a suitable propeller. If some have pdfs or anything that could be of help pls send me

Thanks to all your help

2. kjell

kjell Senior Member

3. nautical

nautical Junior Member

Kjell,

Thaks for replying,

well if i get one of those programs it would be very helpful. can I get it mailed if I send you a mail as you have mentioned it. there.

4. kjell

kjell Senior Member

Hi Nautical.
    If you send me some details of you self and your post address and the E-mail.
    I can send you the program as WinRAR. It works on WINDOWS
    Kjell Dahlberg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.