Help Identifying old winches

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by BoatHardware, Jan 18, 2020.

1. BoatHardware

BoatHardware New Member

I'm new to this forum and hoping to find someone who can help me identify these little winches. The winch handle is marked South Coast but there are no external marks on the winches. I disassembled one and found the letter "N" stamped in 2 place on the base and 1 place under the winch. IMG_6423.jpg IMG_6543.jpg IMG_6538.jpg

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I used to sail on a S & S yawl Stormy Weather 25 odd years ago. I remember that she had a winch with a handle as shown in your photo, with the female hex-head (if that is the right term?).
    She was built by Nevins Yacht Yard in City Island, New York in the early 1930's - I am guessing that they probably had their own bronze workshop, so it might be possible that the 'N' stands for Nevins?

BlueBell likes this.
  3. BoatHardware

BoatHardware New Member

Thanks for your help.
    I've spent hours searching for images of this winch and can find nothing. I'm about ready to give up.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

5. BoatHardware

BoatHardware New Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.