Loose containers at sea - SCARY

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Nov 9, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Oh dear, that is one of the market leaders in Marine Electronics! The broadband is new though, but the clients reports are really positive.
    I would reduce the comparable range to 2,5 miles btw.
    Still a good range. More than 60% of your navigation by radar is below that range.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Personally I like the idea of the closer to boat view, I think one may be able to use it better than a long range radar. One of my concerns is tankers, there seem to be more of them than containers and they move, I doubt they will even know you're there. If a tanker travels at 30kn how much time do you have to get out of it's way ? Six mins ?

3. Sinclair D-R

Sinclair D-R Junior Member

Richard,

My question referred to "Broad band" radar for leisure marine usage.

On passage making i would have it on alarm mode at all times.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Your worries about tankers seem to be sensible Fanie. Though 30 knots is´nt their speed, more likely 18 to 20kn.
    And they do´nt care, even if they see you. No matter day or night, they never do any action for a small boat, they cannot. They would write their name into the ocean by keelwater.

Sinclair that stuff is at the market for less than half a year. I have not actually delivered one boat equipped with it.
    And you misunderstand the alarm function I referred to. The common Radar cannot be run all night on small boats, due to power consumption. But a radar is a good anchor watch and intrusion alarm, if set on short distance with the signal switched on.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Richard, thanks for your input on the thread. I can't give you any points yet, but thanks anyway.

Now I've got to convince Manie to buy two of those jobbies :D Ferruno here has been very expensive, most of the guys buy other brands of echo sounders.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Even worse. Now you have to watch them for longer before they sailed past you ;)

7. Sinclair D-R

Sinclair D-R Junior Member

Fanie,

Head on collision course with A @ 30 kt, B @ 12 kt,
    an advance warning range of 2.5 nm as Richard's reference
    gives you ~ 4 minutes?
    Just enough time to grab your beer and get your abandon-ship bag real close to you.
    Or steer off course real quick.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

How is your old sailing barge doing 12knots? And how many beer do you grab for leaving the sampan, a whole three month ration?

9. masalai

masalai masalai

I had a look at the 'Brisbane' Sanctuary Cove Boat Show in May 2009 and was impressed by the near definition of the simrad and similar brand/badge engineered models of the same machine... New out then and none showing live feed display...

My thinking was more in line with "spotting" a large commercial vessel at 20 knots as many of the modern container & car-transporter vessels and passenger cruise boats do, so I was looking for something that could turn itself on every 5 or 10 minutes, have a look and sound an alarm if something was spotted (anything) or 'sleep' to restart in another 5/10 minutes, and the monochrome LCD Furuno 1623 or 1715 seemed suitable and came as a complete stand alone unit...

Any views on that selection? - - My concern is more coastline and major targets for the occasional night passage (most of my cruising will be daysailing by island hopping...

I feel there is not much one can do about half or almost submerged mid oceanic objects on a night passage but be able to ride up on to/over it rather than "plough into it":D:p:eek:

Many other recreational/domestic radars suggested a package including a large colour LCD multipurpose screen, where if one part fails you loose all the functions (gps chart, depth, autopilot, video/TV)...

Then I saw an AIS 'radar' display receiver which relies of the VHF transmissions from vessels over 300gross tonnage that provides information on the ship (as per attached brochure and at 220 pounds Sterling is a remarkably good buy as an extra means to help keep watch (not a replacement for good human watch-keeping, in addition to).... (brochure attached - the device just needs an appropriate VHF antenna and a power-supply)

Attached Files:

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

AIS automatic identification system is as good as a radar for small vessels.

Small vessels cant get the height unless it right at the top of a mast.

For a power boat it works well, it will show track and speed of vessels in your viscinity, they will also see you, never mind your radar strength or your radar reflector its not the same system.

AIS is necessary in the Malaca straits is is necessary by law in Singapore.

You can arrive without it if you submit by fax a plan of your arrival 12 hours before. You can leave without one. You can not move in Singapore waters without one.

If you cant afford one you can rent one form the four main Marinas that you will leave from or arrive to, unless you anchor with the ships to the south anchorage off the "Sisters" and call for Pratique. Not advisable.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

GPS is a better anchor alarm with minuscule power consumption by comparison.

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

That looks like a handy instrument Masalai. The price looks ok as well. Pity you cannot combine it with a radar or broadband radar (for the same price :D)

It will detect other boats with AIS only, so none of the objects visible on the radar is available.

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Jeez Frosty

thanks for the very cool video game

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

must be getting old - its better than bikini's - probably overdid it yesterday :D

QUESTION

Is there a site that shows popular "shippng lanes"
    you know the busy one's - kinda highways of the seas

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

The 1715 is a good Radar, when connected to a appropriate (large) open array scanner, no doubt. But thats the crux, it is common practice that they are installed with a small radom antenna, and then it´s technical ability is compromised.
    The broadband can live with a smaller antenna in a radom.

The AIS hype is another topic.

It is SENSELESS to have a AIS receiver! It gives you a false feeling of additional safety, when you know the bulkers heading and speed (besides other, often false, info), but you do´nt notice the trawler is ramming you in 2 minutes.
    A transceiver is another case, sure. And another 2000$ also. But it gives you only one advantage, you are "seen" by the commercial fleet. Other yachts, Fisherboats etc. do not see you by AIS, they usually do´nt have it. And opposite to the simplest pulse radar, AIS does not make a echo on other vessels screen.
    Its a nice Gimmick, and becomes sensible on larger boats.

The ARPA feature is hundred times more value than a AIS.
    ARPA or Mini -ARPA (MARPA), is the ability of plotting targets. It can avoid collisions by calculating own speed / course and targets speed and course.

The broadband i´ve seen working just a few weeks ago. It is definetively as good, or better, than a 25.000$ x -band Radar on short distance (below 1 mile)! One has to take into account the quality and size of screen though. The standard 19" on a commercial S- band gives you another picture than the standard 8" or 10" on such a tiny piece. But rainclutter, resolution, discriminating (was that the right term?) targets, all very good. Imho the only apparatus in the 5k$ class worth the money. But, as mentioned, a good picture only up to about 2,5 - 3 miles.

The power consumption is NOT the same as a cell phone! Thats valid for the transmitter only! But you have a screen and a antenna working too! But it is substantially below the pulse Radar. And when you set the screen on standby, the VRM on short distance, you have a perfect night watch, consuming not more than a PC.

The GPS is just a anchor watch, but does´nt see intruders! The broadband does!

The "sleep" modus, is a feature on some Radar models, but I do´nt know which. (I refer to the "sleep, turn the antenna twice, then sleep again" modus)

One main problem we should not forget to mention.
    The ability of tuning and interpreting a Radar picture is one thing you have to learn and practice. Even if you have a true motion unit (not common on small boats, requires a Gyro), you have to interprete what happens. On the common head up display you need years of practice to interprete vessels course and speed relative to your own! That is pretty much a task in tight quarters with high traffic. Have some rain, and play the wrong way with the clutter knobs, and you know how it feels when the sweat freezes in your a.s.
    Whenever possible, buy a ARPA / MARPA Radar and the sensors necessary!
    Then practice in bright sunshine, as much as you can!

You do´nt like to end up like the idiot in the US who hit the rocks, while watching the radar. Asked why he did not see the hughe Rock, he replied; he could´nt look out, he had to watch the radar.

Kindest regards and watch out!
    Richard

1 person likes this.
  14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Manie
    QUESTION

Is there a site that shows popular "shippng lanes"
    you know the busy one's - kinda highways of the seas

Yes, here:

http://www.scannernet.nl/Online AIS DSC.html

the English channel

Enjoy
    Richard

15. bntii

bntii Senior Member

So the answer for smallish yachts?

I am sailing a 12m boat.
    I have no radar but am looking towards the 1715 unit. In my case the unit would be used with the small 2kw closed antenna.
    The ideal is for watch keeping only-not navigation, via the guard zone function when off watch & keeping track of known shipping when seen.
    Where I sail fishing craft are seen more than large ships & seem to be the greater danger.
    AIS is starting to be sold/hyped by the vendors at the boat shows.

The AIS receivers are cheap enough, you don't see the utility apex?
    Assuming the yacht is kitted with radar as well?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.