Loose containers at sea - SCARY

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Have you noticed that on the vidio the waves are on the bow at first then later she is going with the seas.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Passed the eye of the storm? - - "eye-eye Cap'n" - - :D:D:D

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Wouldn't a radar receiver be a lot cheaper than an entire set? Wouldn't have to be very sensitive either to pick up those container vessels and tankers heading your way with the crew below decks enjoying dinner. Not much use for detecting submerged containers ahead but then nothing else is either.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Huh:?:

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Fishermen routinely use them for finding small floats in calm water. I have chopped my throttles for birds and very nearly had my antenae clipped by planes I thought were birds (because of their speed - they sometimes fly low to the water to get confident in fog). I have to admit, I don't ever recall seeing a container on RADAR - I usually run with it off except in reduced visability (Tho it is required to use all navagation aids at disposal, i.e., if you have a collision in even unlimited visability because somebody ran into you, the first question some F'ing lawyer is going to ask is "when did you first notice him and how did you notice him?"

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What are you smoking, you chop your throttles because of low flying aircraft practicing for fog? and you what? --run of with 40 ton containers except in reduced visability?

Mark please go to bed and sleep it off.

7. Johnnylee

Johnnylee New Member

Great info, thanks for sharing

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Frosty
    lookup the Furuno 2117 / 19 series of Radars, have a min. 6,5´ open array antenna and feel fine! If the resolution/ range is´nt fine enough, buy a S- band too. Then you can almost read whats written on the can.

Of course one has to have sufficient practice using such equipment. !

When you tune the rain or waves clutter knob too coarse, you´ll see nothing.

With the 2119 x- band I have seen a single Albatros about 3 - 4 miles away. And years ago 1991 -92 I HAVE seen a beercan in the Baltic, with waves about 50 - 80cm high. That was a Kelvin hughes x- band.

Though I have´nt seen a floating container by now, I´ve seen a semi- submerged car at night, off the Brazilian coast some years ago. No idea how it did float, and NO, I could not identify the make. Just the roof was visible at surface. We sunk it, by hitting it at slow speed with the bow.

For Manie I would recommend the new Simrad broadband. They are really worlds ahead of all the other "cheap stuff". Which (as Frosty mentioned) are not worth the box they come in.

Regards
    Richard

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Point taken Richard :D Saw it the first post :D

No one have responded to the question, how realistic are the chances of running into a floating container ? I know it has happened, but is it really something to worry about ?

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

okay so i am starting to think that you fellas categorize R@ym*r1ne as

why is that
    overall in general everything cheap (cheap brand name) ????
    or poor quality that doesn't last ???
    have you guys had bad experiences with it in the past ???
    poor or nonexistence service ???

11. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Statistically, for every collision, there must be many more that were near misses (as you can pass either side of them). If a container is 40 feet long (assuming it's square to your course) there must be twice as many pass within 12 yards of you either side, four times as many with 24 yards etc, but curiously I can't ever remember seeing one captured on film from the deck of a small boat.

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

not until you run into something

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Chances of hitting submerged container are directly proportional to you being prosecuted under Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Damage will be limited to whatever the worst possible outcome is.

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well, the amount of meteors falling on earth in a year is also scary. One hasen't fallen on me (yet, touch wood) and since there is not much one can do about it except maybe worry, I decided not to get the meteor detector :D

I also have heard only of very rare incidences where someone's property was 'hit' by a meteor. You can imagine what damages a piece the size of a brick will do, it will pass right through most boats. The pieces I held in my hand was VERY heavy, I wouldn't even drop it on my foot.

I am of the opinion that the chances of encountering a floating container is somewhat unlikely. Most containers will sink unless there's a boat in one of course :D

If you are going to get a Simrad broadband or whatever, then get one for the right reasons. Tankers, pirates and other boat users looking for beer are way more of a threat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.