1st timer looking for advice

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by mate, Apr 9, 2006.

1. mate

mate New Member

After many years of hesitancy I've decided to finally take the plunge and commit to building a boat. I'm look for advice on designs.

In order for this to be a success I need it to be relatively simple. I think I want a 17'-20' "Gentlemen's Cruiser" that has a lo power requirement (15-35hp outboard or 10-25hp diesel inboard) or a 20' (give or take) traditional styled gaff rigged cruiser.

I'm guessing plywood construction would be the simplest but since I've never built a boat I really don't know.

Any words of wisdom that ya'll could share sure would be appreciated.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I think marine plywood with stitch & glue method is the easiest for a beginner. Have a look at Sam Devlin's pages: http://www.devlinboat.com/sgfp.htm
    (There are many other reputable designers offering also designs to be built with this technique. Do some googling around)

3. LP

LP Flying Boatman

1st boat

Mate,

Strip-built hulls are also easy for the first timer. The stripped hull may take a little more time to build, but you will have a wonderful round bilged hull. 20' is a good size too. My first was a 16 footer because I didn't want a BIG unfinished boat in my garage. Fortunately, I completed the project, but I wish I had the extra length of a 20 footer.

Either way. Take your time in finding your plans. That's the hardest part. Build to the plans. Check to see how much documentation/build instruction comes with the plans. If you can, talk to the designer to see if he's willing to advise you if you encounter a tough spot.

1 person likes this.
  4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Plywood with fibreglass is indeed quite easy and quick, and if done right can be pretty strong. If you have the time and patience, though, the extra effort of doing a strip hull in real wood is well worth the end result.... such boats are just plain gorgeous. Find good plans, with good instructions and good supporting documents, and don't be afraid to shell out a bit more for them. $100 plans do tend to be twice as good as $50 plans, and so on. Also, if you pick a design that's been built several times before, you can have some idea from other builders as to what the problems are and how it will work in the end. Have fun with the project!

5. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

When as a teen ager in the 1950,s I helped build with my father and later raced an inboard. Almost 50 years later, I built a 20' version of GlenL,s Monoco. Both of these expierences were the most enjoyable of my life and I highly recommend GlenL,s plans and patterns. I now have a Chris craft clone which is very strong, light weight and very fast. Take a look at: glenl.com

John

6. boatbuilder.org

boatbuilder.org Junior Member

7. H2O_BABIES

H2O_BABIES Junior Member

This boat look like the one from Nimble work boats, great and can be compact in the interior.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.