Wooden boatbuilding in Spain (Galicia)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by gonzo, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

hoytedow likes this.
  2. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. Having almost no Spanish I skimmed through the photos and diagrams and was impressed by the thought that went into the details and sheer hard work required to build these ships.
    One thing did catch my eye on page 79, showing the difference between a Spanish and an English scarf joint.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Muchísimas gracias.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, even in countries that were close by, very different techniques were used.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Thanks for the link!

6. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Thanks Gonzo.

"Un palmo de astillas y montañas de serrín cubren el suelo desigual, todo impregnado por el olor profundo de la madera y el aroma de los barnices, y en medio del ordenado desorden, un pequeño claro de reserva para la construcción del pesquero." :)

Interesting and some useful additions to my Spanish vocab.
    How much of the timber boat building industry is now left on the north coast?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is still quite a bit. There are many wooden boats still around. Also, in Spain traditionally built boats can be built by amateurs and sold after a certain time.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If I am not badly informed, I think that, unfortunately, is not so.

wavepropulsion likes this.
  9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are badly informed. Check the information online.

10. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

TANSL, my dear buddy, yes you are very badly informed, as usual . . :(

Spain is a member of the European Union since 1986, and as such has to, and also effectively does, obey the laws and binding directives of the European Parliament and her Council since a long-long time now.

Gonzo said above: ‘‘ . . . . in Spain traditionally built boats can be built by amateurs and sold after a certain time. ’’

The boats here referred to are covered by exceptions in the below linked binding EU Directive 2013/53/EU, which goes for all EU member states, including Spain which must and also does obey them, which I think everyone with a little involvement, or even only having a minor interest*, in the European boating industry, and/or in European DIY boat building, knows very well.

* interest here = the state of wanting to know or learn about something !

EUR-Lex ---> EN : Access to European Union law ---> Document 32013L0053 = DIRECTIVE 2013/53/EU ---> PDF

‘‘ - Text: - 28.12.2013 - [EN] - Official Journal of the European Union - L 354/90

DIRECTIVE 2013/53/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 20 November 2013 on recreational craft and personal watercraft and repealing Directive 94/25/EC

[ . . . . . ]

CHAPTER I - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Article 1 - Subject matter

This Directive lays down requirements for the design and manufacture of products referred to in Article 2(1) and rules on their free movement in the Union.

Article 2 - Scope

[ . . . . . ]

2. - This Directive shall not apply to the following products:

[ . . . . . ]

(vii) - watercraft built for own use, provided that they are not subsequently placed on the Union market during a period of five years from the putting into service of the watercraft

[ . . . . . ] - ’’

So, it is 100% as Gonzo says, and 100% not as you (TANSL) say, nevertheless I wish for you to do well with all your studies.

Good luck !

P.S. - It's also available in Spanish ---> PDF, so language is not a problem here !

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  11. Angélique

I just did a forum check whether the above EU Directive 2013/53/EU was mentioned before on these forums or not at all, and I saw that my buddy TANSL recently came up with the same issue on the thread Lion 800 new plywood yacht, and there in post #62 Unik showed TANSL the rules to which TANSL responded as follows in the below quoted post #63... - And of course in the following there TANSL makes up other issues for that case, which certainly don't apply here, as the case on this thread was about 100% amateur construction.
    Which makes clear TANSL knows these rules, at least since Dec 11, 2016, as he stated himself in the above quote.

Which also makes clear TANSL is deliberately disturbing discussions on these forums with false information just for polemic sake, while the above quotes clearly show that TANSL knows about these rules, and the exceptions, for at least 7½ months now, and that TANSL is faking ignorance here, and again as always just for polemic sake.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I think I'll give the accused the right of reply, before convicting him of any or all charges ! :(

13. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Thanks, Mr Efficiency.
    I did not want to disturb anyone or spoil this thread. I have just said that, unfortunately, things in Spain are not as easy as Gonzo indicated. I do not think this can bother anyone, it's a simple note of attention. We need to go a little deeper to find out the real situation of amateur construction in my country.
    I just need to point out that the Spanish Administration has its own guidelines for amateur construction, within, of course, European regulations. In Spain the reality is that the amateur construction, although it is possible, does not exist, due to the multiple obstacles that have to overcome.
    The construction of pleasure boats to be sold, even after several years of use, is also regulated and requires passing a series of tests, not only the builder and his team, but the yard facilities, which are difficult to pass. And in this I speak from my own experience. (One of the things that must be contributed is a project signed by a qualified technician).
    I understand that I may be unfriendly and that I am wrong sometimes (like everyone else), but I am well acquainted with the Spanish regulations on shipbuilding. I have had to fight with them for many years.
    I do not mind, at all, that you disqualify me, but please do so after studying the Spanish regulations and, if with it in your hand, you believe that you discover that I am wrong, you let me know. Thank you for your positive and conciliatory mood.

14. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

A little polemic is often the spice that makes it happen

15. Angélique

Right, but only so if it goes with truthful arguments.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.