looking to build a boat need some help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bryan Campbell, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Bryan Campbell

Bryan Campbell Junior Member

hey all im looking to build a boat i was looking at building one out of foam by first building a mold that i could pour the foam into and letting it rise and cure my problem is what would the best way to do this and if any of you have ever tried this i have also thought about covering the foam with some sort of plastic coating or fiberglass does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this or even would this work

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You first build a boat to take the mold off. If you are building only one, it doesn't pay. It is easier, faster and cheaper to cut a block of foam into the final shape.

3. Bryan Campbell

Bryan Campbell Junior Member

the design of boat i am looking to build is flat bottom v nose style row boat that could have an optional 5 to 10 horsepower motor if i was to cut it out of a block of foam what would be the best way to cut the interior out

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It would be much easier to "stitch" some sheet foam into the shape you desire, then 'glass both sides. I hope you have a set of plans . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.