Looking for Work Opportunities within the Marine Industry

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by joz, Sep 9, 2012.

1. joz

joz Senior Member

Hi

My name is Josemond and I am from Australia and I am looking at getting into the marine industry. The following trades that I would like to get into are

Boat Building
    Crewing on work boats/ferries etc
    Sail Making
    Rigging

(I do not have any experience in the above areas as I am willing to learn)

Office Administration (have some experience )
    Training (have some experience)

Or any other field within the marine industry

I hope that by placing this ad that there is a genuine employer out there that is willing to take me on.

My email is joz1971@hotmail.com

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Good attitude.

Good luck!

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sign on as crew for someone. This is the fast way to get experience.

4. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Try contacting NZ Maritime for info on training positions and boat builder apprenticeship positions if you're willing/able to put in the five years reqd. NZ is probably the best country to begin a maritime carear in leisure craft industry for Aus citizen alternative is to contact any of the marine service fleet operators in WA or Darwin.
    You could short cut by learning alloy welding, get weld certificate for aluminium boat buiding.
    Getting a trade cert as boat builder opens doors to jobs overseas, building or crewing superyachts plus opportunity to study for Capt. licence to skipper charter or private yachts.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

First you have to find a boat company that hasnt shut it doors and stand in line with all the other expserianced boat builders and then the apprentaces that have done some of there time and then theres you at the back .
    The nz boating industry is all but dead .
    I have a friend thats been out of work for coming up to one year and hes a designer and a qualified boat builder .
    Me i been in china for the past 2 years plus because there wasnt any places making boats !! a couple of years before that in Korea and before that i laid wooden floor to feed my family !!! Get my drift !!!:confused:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You did not say how old you are.

just go door knocking --it takes a bit of self confidence but this will not go unoticed.

Go to where you want to work. Wanting to work for some ones is better than just being offered a job by some one or some where you don't like -- A job is for life.

DONT join a Union.

Do not ask what the wages are. Do not ask about holidays. Do not ask if you get Sat afternoons off.

7. watchkeeper

Seek Au/NZ and several other ANZ sites are all offering jobs for techs, trades, shipwrights, alloy welders, trainees, NA, designers, 2D&3D designers, marine service managers, marine mechanics, retail sales staff, broker and apprentiseships.

If a guys keen all he has to do is look and knock on doors

Advice from a retiree hiding in Thailand

8. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

All the companies i have worked in in the past 10 years are no longer in exsistance !!! i mean all of them !!! door knocking ! most of the buildings that used to house these companies are chained up and vacant with to rent signs out side !!! . :eek:

9. watchkeeper

Seek today has 509 positions listed inder marine @ all locations, 93 listed for ANZ locations with about 60% of those directly related to boat building or some form of commercial or leisure marine service or activity.

NZ marine jobs today has about 30 job listed most in ANZ boatyards, some overseas.

There's probably a lot more marine jobs that small boat yards or builders advertize in newspapers or local rags not with expensive recruiters.

I know of 6 small to big business boat builders currently looking for alloy welders, joinery trades, fit out staff, mechanics, shipwrights, fairers and GRP laminators

10. joz

joz Senior Member

Thanks for your advice guys

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Joz, the BIA has a vacancy section online & a position wanted, heaps of people just work through the yellow pages a-z in the boat builders & repairers. Had a look at the NSW one & quite a few have been advertising but most want Shipwrights & Marine spraypainting exp. Jeff.