Replace wooden bulkheads possible?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by novafrench, Mar 8, 2022.

1. novafrench

novafrench New Member

Hello everyone,

I hope I post this question in the right place.
    I want to replace the bulkheads of a Bavaria 31 (the big ones that separate the lounge area from the bathroom and v-berth)
    They are made of wood and I wondered if I could replace them with transparent acrylic glass instead to open the boat up.
    Is that possible ?
    Sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I mean.
    Thanks already in advance for any reply :)

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The first question is do the bulkheads in question contribute to the structure of the boat. If they don't contribute then they can be removed.

If the bulkheads contribute to the structure of the boat then in theory they can be replace with acrylic sheets if the acrylic is thick enough to have the same or greater stiffness and strength as the wood bulkheads. But there probably would be many difficulties with the details. Also acrylic which is thick enough would be much heavier than the wood.

An alternative would be to cut large holes in the existing bulkheads and add reinforcing flanges around the edges of the new openings. You would need to consult with someone knowledgeable about where and how big the holes could be and the size of the reinforcing flanges.

bajansailor and Rumars like this.
  3. novafrench

novafrench New Member

Hello David,
    thanks a lot for your response and advice.
    The Bulkheads contribute to the structure of the boat.
    I like your Idea about the holes as well.
    hope you have a great day and thanks again :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.