Looking for some more stability advice from you clever people

Discussion in 'Stability' started by jimmymc90, May 1, 2011.

1. jimmymc90

jimmymc90 Junior Member

I have posted a couple of times for some help on here already and have got some good advice.
    Im basically redesigning a ro-ro ferry to comply with regulation 12a. I have currently removed 300 tonnes of fuel and replaced this with a double hull under the six fuel tanks. The total added steel was approx 50 tonnes. From this I have worked out the ships new deadweight, lightship and draft however im not sure how to go about proving the ship is still stable. I have all the parent ships data and have done been taught a bit of nav arc before Im just getting abit confused from having to work backwards from the fugures I have.

im assuming I will have to calculate the fuel tanks new centres LCGs and the free surface effect etc but Im not sure what else.

as always thanks for any advice
    James

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Can you add ballast to equal the fuel you removed?

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

James

Do you have the stability booklet?..ie do you have the cross curves of stability?

4. jimmymc90

jimmymc90 Junior Member

cheers for your replies guys,
    Gonzo, I have been told to try keep away from simply adding ballast to replace the fuel.
    Ad hoc I have the statical stabilty curves of each load condition but obviously these conditions have now changed slightly, is this what you are talking about?

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

From the weights on and weight off table....if you make sure you do this with the VCG and LCG too, you end up with the new displacement, VCG and LCG.

From the curves of stability, you can calculate the stability using the KN data, at the new displacement and LCG, VCG.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.