want to trade some design work for high grade lumber!!

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by wayne nicol, Dec 4, 2018.

1. wayne nicol

wayne nicol Senior Member

I am fully aware of the skill, time and effort that goes into good design work.
    however, right now i dont have spare cash for this project. all spare $$ are going into materials, a little bit at a time.
    i dont mean to insult or belittle any folk out there with the relative design skills, but this is just my predicament. I am just hoping there is a designer/ builder out there that would be willing to trade some time.

I am looking for designs for two separate masts and spars for my 26' sail boat.
    i am wanting to convert my sloop to an unstayed cat ketch, or cat schooner, with either high aspect lugs ( as in Romilly) or as a last resort sliding gunters
    i will be building them myself from carbon/glass and epoxy over foam mandrels( in the configuration advised by the designer). using the woven socks.
    i have had extensive GRP experience, building plugs, molds and parts.

i have Sitka Spruce, Western Red Cedar and Alaskan Yellow Cedar. all high grade, NON kiln dried, and will be cut to your required sizes.
    we can discuss respective values, and figure out shipping etc. and i will be cutting you a good deal, this wont be retail store outlet pricing.

i truly hope someone can help me with this project, i have made so many other changes to "Merrylegs" already, and this is the final hurdle.
    obviously i will furnish the sketches i have of the "sailplans" current and proposed, and all the other info required.

many thanks in anticipation.
    wayne

2. Mark Alfred Steele

Mark Alfred Steele New Member

M A STEELE / Victoria BC : Best I can offer is , in Anacortes , Washington State , a Class Race Rig , all Aluminum , for an Olson 25 .
    No Sails - $1500.00
    marksteele1@gmx.com Dec 04/2018

3. wayne nicol

many thanks Mark, unfortunately i am looking for something quite specific for my intended use, primarily it can not be a stayed rig.
    many thanks anyway

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Wayne, A free standing mast and a high aspect rig is, kinda sorta , at odds with one another. Doable yes, but not without some possible difficulties.

Consider that the part of the mast that is buried will be under considerable stress. As an example, lets say that the bury is about five feet from partner to heel. Suppose that you have a 30 foot luff and the center of effort, theoretically ,will be ten feet up the luff...more or less, and if there is some headroom below the boom....say 3 feet....then you have a lever with a 13 to 5 ratio. ....or the force of the sail will generate 2.6 times the shearing force at the heel. The deck or whatever holds the five foot up point on the mast had better be hell for strong. Imagine the force exerted at that point of the mast. It is resisting the force of the sail as well as the force on the heel.

A feasible sail plan might be something with a lower center of effort.............a lug rig perhaps. That rig has its pluses and minuses too. You have a big ole stick up high above the deck. (Sigh!) why is life so complicated? A gaff rig has some of, but not all of the weight aloft as the lug might have. Alas that weight will be higher up the pole and might have a larger moment than the lug yard. Your option of a sliding gunter is good but if the sail is tall when the slide is fully aloft then the shear force at the heel will be the same as if the mast was all in one piece.

I think that if you search around on this forum you might find some more encouraging advice and also some information about mast design and dimensions. Our member Eric Sponberg is a professional NA who has done much work on the design and development of free standing masts. He is probably the go to guy but he has retired from his business in Florida. If all else fails, you might contact one of our members, screen name Laukejas, via PM. He has contrived a data set that calculates the acceptable stresses at points up and down the mast. He is a really nice guy who will probably be pleased to share whatever limited information he has. He is in Lithuania and I assure you that he would agree to sell his liver or other organ in order to get some of your Spruce or cedar. Almost any wood that can be had in Lithuania is suitable only for firewood. It is not possible to trade with you of course. Eric is retired but some of his mast design data is on the forum ....somewhere.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

6. wayne nicol

thanks for the great info,
    maybe i used the term " high aspect" a little too loosely.
    i am expecting a lower aspect rig than my current rig, and my first choice would be for a standing lug set up, i am just anticipation a higher aspect than the standard small boat rig.
    i agree the one drawback is that the lug has a top spar, but maybe with the spar being in carbon, and the mas being significantly shorter, there would not be an increased mast mass aloft.
    from my limited knowledge i do understand that the stresses on a lug can be higher, even though the sail is of a lower aspect, but proportionately it has a lot of sail area higher up the mast, than many other plans.

i will check out that link right now. thank you

i did e mail Eric, he was very helpful, but did tell me that he was retired and spending his time in the east, and very politely declined to get involved.
    can not begrudge a man his free time after he has earned it!!
    many thanks

7. wayne nicol

oh, and thanks admin for putting this in the right place.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.