Advice

Discussion in 'Education' started by Jdub, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Jdub

Jdub New Member

Hello. I am just now realizing that my dream of designing boats could easily be reality. Thanks for all the good info. And from what I can tell there have been quite a few mixed reviews on the different schools. I am trying to make a decision about the whole thing and feel that the people who are currently enrolled or graduated have the best information.

I grew up in Seattle, a minute from the beach, owned my own hobie 18 when I was 16 and raced for my high school for 2 years (not multihull.) My team went to nationals three years in a row (and maybe more since, I haven’t been kept up-to-date) and although that was almost 6 years ago, and I haven’t been racing much since, that was an invaluable experience that I will always cherish. In high school I took three semesters worth of drafting and cad classes. Design is a passion of mine and I am confident enough to say I am very talented at it. Most recently I was at Oregon State University for three years working towards a degree in Civil Engineering. Bogged down with the amount of physics, math, and off-hands irrelevant crap that I needed to graduate I withdrew from school. I might go back I might not, but right now I want to do what seams most interesting and fulfilling and boat design and construction sounds freaking sweet. I most recently noticed that Westlawn is now offering a bachelors degree through a University in New York. The cost of the individual courses is an issue, time is not. The long distance (online) courses are the only ones I am really interested in. I believe there are only two. I am leaning towards Westlawn because it seams the more professionally orientated program. I realize that there are lots of threads about this but can anyone give me a straight up answer considering my background? A Sailor, surfer, windsurfer, and all-around water man sending his appreciation. Thanks

J

Ps. If background really has no play on what school you go to then let me know as well

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.