Looking for Reference Material: Boat Types

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jdray, Jul 6, 2021.

1. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

I’d like to find a web page or PDF or something that shows (accurately) a variety of different boat types. This would help me better understand boats, avoid talking out of my… porthole, and perhaps glean some ideas regarding what I like in boats.

I realize that there are an incredible number of boat designs out there, and I’m not looking for simplistic type identifiers like monohull, catamaran, or trimaran; or sail vs. power. What I am after is something that lists, for instance, a “sedan” versus a “sport fisher”. It seems clear what makes an “aft cabin” an “aft cabin”, but what makes a “Downeast” that type of boat? How big does a “cuddy cabin” get before it becomes a “cabin cruiser”?

These are rhetorical questions that I don’t expect anyone here to answer, but examples of the sort of information I’m looking to glean from such a reference. Anyone have any links I would find helpful?

Cheers.

JD

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.