looking for ply for stern

Discussion in 'Materials' started by awol46, Oct 30, 2008.

1. awol46

awol46 gatorbait

I am searching for some 12 x 5 sheets to finish the stern of a 33 ft cavalier. I want to use ply verses plank due to cost. I was told it is available but am having trouble locating some. Please help !!!!!! I want to use one sheet so the grain is consistent and there is no seam showing in the finished project. Also needs to be good quality with good color veneer finish fo staining.

2. grady

grady Novice

Plyed

Hi 5x10 was the largest sheet on their web site, but call I'm sure they can help. they're a great resource.

www.boulterplywood.com

Hope this helps

Grady

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can order custom size plywood from most manufactures, but it's going to be scarfed to length and you'll pay twice as much as regular size sheets. You can scarf them yourself, though I'd be very surprised if you could install a single sheet of plywood that size. Jacking, bracing and insuring good contact on a sheet that size takes considerable planning and man power. You'll be better off working with manageable sizes. Yep, you'll have a few seams, but so does the other portions of your boat. Also make sure the plywood is at least the same thickness as the planking it is replacing, because plywood isn't a strong longitudinally as solid lumber.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.